Twenty - Three ➵ S. H

It was different now having someone to walk to school with instead of just by myself. To share breakfast with another instead of just my parents. It was Monday now, so it was officially the first day of Jasmine going to school from my house.
"Here's a sticky bun and a Flinstone vitamin." My mom says, handing both of us a plate with them on it.
"Ooh." I said, taking a bite out of it.
Dad didn't say much. I had a feeling he wouldn't say anything because of how he was. On the way to school, we didn't see no sign of Eddie or his gang anywhere. I had a feeling I wouldn't since he usually is lurking out at night.
When we headed to school, the school was clustered with people gazing at a poster. I tried shoving past them so I could see what the big focus of this commotion was.
"Ugh, I can't believe there isn't going to be a performer at this year's talent show on Friday." Someone groaned. Then I glanced over at Jasmine and I smirked. She caught me smirking and her eyes widened.
"No way." She says, getting out of the crowd but I stopped her by holding onto her arm.
"Come on Jas! You'll do great." I promised her but she shook her head.
"No, truth is I don't think I'm that good." She admitted, biting her upper lip.
"Jasmine, I heard you sing. You're amazing, and I know you'll do great at that talent show." I insisted to her.
"I don't want to." She declined again, and luckily just in time, Topanga and Cory went up to us.
"Topanga! Cory! You came just in time." I exclaimed, acknowledging their presence.
"What's going on Shawn?" Topanga asked.
"Jasmine won't try out for the talent show but she should. She's such a good singer and she needs to let her voice out there." I informed them, and Topanga agreed to my idea right away.
"Really? You never told me that Jasmine," Topanga pointed out, "you should really sign up for it." Topanga persisted, and Jasmine sighed. She slouched a little, perpetuating her lips from a smile to a frown.
"I don't know guys. What if people hate my voice?" Jasmine pointed out, looking down at her feet. Her eyes didn't meet with ours.
"They won't, and if people tell you any different, you know I can deal with them." I reminded her, and she lifted her gaze up to mine.
"Come on Jasmine." Cory spoke, trying to pursue her as well.
"Alright, I'll try out." Jasmine finally agreed to it, and I kissed her on the lips.
"I guarantee you that you're going to do awesome." I promised her, wrapping an arm around her shoulder and we all headed to Turner's room in pairs.
:::
During passing period fourth hour, I heard singing from the room. The voice was so familiar, and I  easily recognized it. It was Jasmine's. I followed the sound of her voice, not caring if I was going to get in trouble for being late to class. When I went to the door, it was cracked open. Jasmine didn't notice me there at first since she was more focused on singing, and playing the piano. I walked in discreetly, trying not to make her stop singing. Her voice attracted me so much. As I was paying close attention to the lyrics, I got lost in space. All I could hear was her, and nothing else. I sat by her, her being unaware of me being in the room. I heard her singing these lyrics that sounded very meaningful to me.

And I wanted it that way.

I listened to the lyrics closely, touched by how well written they were.
"There was a time when I was alone

Nowhere to go and no place to call home

My only friend was the man in the moon

And even sometimes he would go away, too

Then one night, as I closed my eyes

I saw a shadow flying high

He came to me with the sweetest smile

Told me he wanted to talk for awhile

He said, "Peter Pan, that's what they call me