Sixty-Two ➵ Both

Shawn
Little Paulie's was an endearing restaurant, small and embellished with Italian paintings everywhere. House plants made the restaurant somehow ornate, even though it was a cramped space. I watched Cory from afar as he was taking orders from these two elderly men, one of them resembling Soupy Sales in appearance.
I leaned in, listening to Cory as he took their orders. As they interacted, of course was Cory was squirrelly and anxious, with the others being sketchy.
For some reason, I didn't trust them.
With every eavesdropping I could try, I found out seconds later that these guys were working for the mob. A mafia with illegal agreements.
Nice job, Cor.
When Cory returned, it was time for me to point out to him. He was too delicate, so I had to lay the truth on him gently.
"Do you have any idea who you're working for?" I yanked Cory back so I could speak with him privately.
"Yeah. Mr. Fountain and Mr.
Martini and Sam. Sam! Why? What's going on?" Cory asked, pronouncing Sam's name with an accent.
"Nothing."
"Nothing."
"Not a thing. You're working for the mob." I informed him. He refused to understand just as I expected. That's why he was fortunate to have me as his friend, to reveal the polite things seem nice, always fluctuate with bad outcomes.
"But the nice mob." He persisted, ditzy.
"Yeah, yeah, the nice mob. Come here," I responded with a hint of sarcasm. As he drew closer, I flicked him on the forehead. Instantly, Cory realized he had made the mistake of applying here.
Beginning to panic frantically, he jabbered quickly: "I have to quit! I have to quit!"
He immediately rushed over to Mr. Fountain and Mr. Martini's table, saying he had to quit the job.
"You made a fine cup of cappuccino." I heard one of them praise Cory, as if it seemed like he quit a week ago.
"Thank you, thank you. But I gotta go.
Bye," he rushed back towards me, insisting me to come with him quickly so we can get the hell out of here, "come on, let's go."
"Okay, okay. I'm coming,"I assured him, wanting to speak with Mr. Fountain and Mr. Martini first. As I treaded towards them, I overheard them referring to Cory as a lunatic. He was, but it was my duty to defend his honor. Technically, he just left without a reason either, so I was gunna do some right for my best friend and step in.
"Look, about my friend.
Um I know sometimes he seems a little chatty, but trust me, he's a smart kid.
You don't have to worry." I assured them. However, I didn't expect their reaction to be so gleaming.
"Loyalty. You're loyal to a buddy. I like loyalty in a person. I like it on the stand."
"You do?" I asked.
It was the mob, what do you expect? They desired to have loyalty when it comes to the mobs. There were others who were completely unfaithful, and they indeed suffered the consequences. You were loyal, whether you liked the mob you were in or not. You had to do anything to keep yourself alive.
"Hey, Lou, it looks like we got an opening for a job here." One of them spoke. I couldn't decide who was who.
"Hey, Mr. Loyalty, are you interested in a job?"
Abandon the job at the docks for a cushy job that pertains to the mob?
And to work any possible dangerous affairs that's against the government?
I'm down.
:::
Jasmine
Lately I've been overworking shifts at my latest job at the DePlaza Mall that was located just a few blocks away from John Adams High School. It wasn't the best job either, there was a manager named Gordon- his alias was "Gordo" because he was overweight. He was absolutely infuriating, he would be discriminating towards people of color who wanted a smoothie, would be shaming women for what they looked like, and would be acting inappropriately.
Like today, he was picking on a woman because of their clothes and appearance.
"Sorry fattie, I don't think you fit the skirt. Your big legs are ruining it for me." He spat hypocritically. The woman, caught in dismay, rushed out as quickly as she could.
"Gordo- excuse me, Gordon, you're really pissing me off." I snapped at him.
"Oh now my middle class worker is going to think she can tower over me, when clearly I'm her boss? Think again."
Taking a smoothie from a nearby table, I intentionally poured it on top of his head, some of the excess dripping to the floor. Angry, he stood up and he tried going towards me, but failed as he slipped on the smoothie puddle. People began to laugh, including me.
I just lost my job.
"Jasmine... you're fired!" He yelled.
However, instead of being upset like most people, I found myself beaming with pride and joy. This job absolutely sucked.
"Good for me!" I replied back, taking off my hat that I had to wear for the job. I went to stride out of the mall like a badass queen, signaling to anyone not to mess with me at this time.
When I returned home, my aunt asked how work was.
"I lost my job." I admitted to her, and her expression immediately formed anxiousness.
"Oh no, you okay?" She asked me.
I shrugged casually as if I was a child who lost their stuffed animal or blanket, surprising the adult that they didn't care. There's always a new one.
"I don't really care, the manager there infuriated me everyday. He discriminates everyone, like today for instance, a heavier woman walked by and he made fun of her weight. He's a terrible person. So I avenged in retaliation and poured a smoothie on him in front of everyone."
My aunt ended up chuckling, proud of me for standing up against a low mouth breather of a person like that.
"Good job, I probably would of done the same thing." She agreed, praising me for my action. I didn't mention to her about what he said to me, but it didn't bother me anyway. My aunt brought up a later point, reminding me that now I didn't have a job, how much money did I have to buy gifts for my friends.
"$257.63, I think. I could check."
I've been planning to spend most of my money on a promise ring for Shawn. He meant the world to me, and I felt as if with the rocky rollercoaster we experienced, that it was only appropriate enough to buy a ring for him. Rings were supposed to symbolize love and affection, which was the most precious representations in life.
"Isn't Shawn coming over? Maybe he can cheer you up to. Oh yeah, I was thinking we could all watch a movie on VHS, out in the living room. I picked up some today while I was out."
She suggested, chipping in the idea.
"Okay." I said, with a sly smile.
"I'll get the popcorn ready!"
Speaking of Shawn, where was he?
Was he still working?
:::
Shawn
I was still in shock about the job offer. They'd pay me $13 a hour. That's more than what I was making at the docks.
But the only con was, I was working for the mafia. That's what I was struggling with. As I at up in bed thinking of one of the hardest decisions in my life, I remembered I had to go to Jasmine's.
"Damn, it's 8:00 already! She must be waiting."
I applied on a button cover up and a coat, informing my parents that I had to leave.
"Yeah Jasmine just called, she was worried about you." My dad informed, one of the only times he was being reliable.
"I'm heading out there now."
"Wait, kiss me before you go." Mom persisted, and I went to kiss her on the cheek. I was so glad she was back.  My dad and I were lost without her. I scurried out of the trailer, rushing out into the cold chill of Philadelphia. I was so focused on heading to Jasmine's, until the sound of crying caught my attention. I turned around to find a guy sitting on a sidewalk bench, who must of been a few years older than me.
Curious as to what was wrong, I walked towards him.
"You okay?" I asked him.
He glanced up, astonished to see me.
"Y-Y-yeah," He choked out, catching a moment to regain his breath,"I'm fine. Thanks for asking."
"If you mind if I ask, what's wrong?"
"Oh, it's the holiday season. I don't have much money.. but a I have a special girl that's all I care about. I finally got a hold of some money from a steady job I just lost today, and saved up for this ring. I was going to head there then I found out at the last minute the ring was gone, someone bought it."
My eyes widened in shock, and I realized I took the ring from him.
The guilt in me increased when he started to ball, crying endlessly again.
"T-t-that ring. I'm one step to l-l-losing my girlfriend of four years. I gave up everything for her-including my education. I love her so much. And the ring was supposed to be a gift that could reunite us," he continued, crying harder than ever in between sentences, "shit, this is what I deserve. I made too many mistakes. I'm a loser, what a piece of shit I truly am."
"You're not a piece of shit, I see you as a man that's trying all you can, I'm like you, school is not for me, the world is tough, but the girl I love infinitely is all I care about. She keeps the world revolving in my life." I sympathized, sending him words of encouragement.
"Yeah." He mumbled. His eyes shifted down to the ground, remaining down.
I got the ring carefully out from my pocket, and gave it to him. He looked up, the ring box capturing his attention.
"What's this?" He questioned.
"You need it more than me-take it, please." I insisted, then quickly got up and stormed away from the guy. I felt as if my heart just stopped. I gave away the ring I was going to give Jasmine that I considered the most special, and now it's gone. I handed it to a person who rightfully deserved it.
I was going to have to try and figure out something. I am running out of time now.
:::
Jasmine
A hour later, Shawn was here.
"Hey, is everything okay? You're freezing." I noted, retrieving his coat from him. He was silent for a long moment. I settled his coat on a chair nearby and headed to him. I caressed my hands on his cheeks, and he his arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me closer to him.
"Hey, you alright Shawn?"
"Yeah," he persisted, pulling me more closer to him til he couldn't, "I'm freezing, can we just sit, cover up under a bunch of blankets, and cuddle with each other?"
My lips lifted up into a smile. I pressed my lips against his, kissing him, then pulled away, just an inch away from his face.
"Of course. I love you so much."
"I love you too, Jas."
Just like we planned, we sat out in the living room, me in Shawn's arms about ready to fall asleep, buried underneath a bunch of blankets, watching Home Alone with Aunt Lori.
What a perfect moment to be alive.
❤︎