Twenty-Two ➵ both

Shawn
I woke up to the sight of Jasmine still asleep, with the sun Ray lighting down on upon her. I sat up, realizing it was Sunday. Our weekend was almost over.
Since today my mom wanted to go buy some outfits for Jasmine with her money she had been saving up for emergencies, or for anything she wanted to, I decided to head over Cory's and thank him for everything he did for Jasmine.
I knocked on the Matthew's back door and Eric opened it.
"Oh there you are Hunter. I haven't seen you in a while." Eric greeted, allowing me in.
"Yeah, I know." I said awkwardly. Eric and I never talked much since he was Cory's older brother. I headed upstairs and went on Cory's bedroom door.
I figured since Eric was doing his homework downstairs or printing something, I could talk to Cory privately about Jasmine's previous situation.
"Hey Shawn. I'm sorry about hugging Jasmine." Cory apologized, but there was no need to. It was an invalid reason and it was my fault to blame him and Jasmine.
"Thats alright, I know it was for comforting her anyways,"I responded, placing a seat on his bed,"I appreciate you doing that for her. She really needed it Cor."
"No problem Shawn." He responded.
In the corner of my eye I saw a basketball on his shelf. I went to go get it, asking Cory if he wanted to go shoot so hoops.
"Sure but aren't you going to hang out with Jasmine?" Cory wondered.
"She's hanging out with my mom today." I replied.
"Oh that's good I guess. Let's go play some basketball."
:::
Jasmine
I wasn't able to hang out with Shawn today since I was hanging out with his mom. She wanted to take me out to eat and purchase some outfits for me.
"Again, I don't have very much money. You can buy an outfit or two, and we can go eat at one of the restaurants I would eat at when I was younger, sound good?" Shawn's mom asked. I nodded in response. Since the only vehicle the Hunters owned was a truck, that's what she drove us in.
The first thing we did was look at a shop in town for cheap outfits.
"Go ahead and browse if you want to." She offered, and I do so. As I was searching for cute outfits, I found a teal shirt with a floral skirt. I came across a jean jacket that was on clearance and that was it.
"I would buy more if I had More money..." Shawn's mom says, her voice trailing off and feel sad.
"Don't be upset. It's okay. You're doing a lot for me already. Thank you." I acknowledged what she was doing for me. I was grateful.
"No problem." She says, trying to form a sly smile. I could tell she wasn't happy about how they didn't have any money, and I understood where she was coming from. We purchased the new outfit and she drove us to this restaurant in town. Once we got inside, she led me to a table right away that was nearby. We sat at a brown wooden table two chairs across from each other, and I glanced around the setting.
It appeared to be old school, with how the chairs along with the tables were set up. Not to mention it seemed as if it was like a mom and pop's joint.
There was a couple of menu's scattered on the table as if it had been calling our names.
"My mom took me here when I was younger. Me and her used to do everything together." Shawn's mom recalled, her smile frowning as if she was thinking of a tragic memory.
"Oh, what happened?" I wondered.
"She just left me. A couple months after my dad passed away when I was 17, my mom left with her boyfriend to Dallas, Texas. She didn't even leave me a letter or anything. Chet was the one who saved me from being alone at the time though." She explained, opening up the menu. I did the same, glancing at the options. I tried my best to get something cheap. I noticed that there was crispy chicken tenders and fries that were for five dollars with a side of sauce of your choice. Either that being ketchup, ranch, or barbecue.
A waiter came and asked for our drinks.
"I'll have a tea. How about you Jas?" Shawn's mom asked me.
"I'll get a cherry coke." I decided.
"And what will you have for food?" The waiter asked, as he was jotting down our orders onto his notepad like the usual, stereotypical waiters did.
"I'll have the chicken and fries, with ranch for the sauce." I answered him. He glanced over at Shawn's mom, waiting for her order.
"I'll have the same." She decided, looking at me. We both smiled at each other, enjoying our time together. It felt good to finally having a motherly figure in my life- to look up to, to talk about anything with.
"I'll be back with your drinks in just a minute. Your food will take a little while though. I hope you don't mind." The waiter said, then walking away to to get the drinks. Once he came back, he left to go take another tables order.
As I was taking my first sip of my cherry coke, through the top end of the straw, Shawn's mom propped her arms against the table and folded her hands under my chin. She looked as if she was getting ready to say something.
"So, Jasmine," she started, forming a smirk,"how are you and Shawn doing?"
After I took a long sip of my drink, I gasped, releasing an "ahh," sound since it was so relieving for the aftertaste.
"We are doing well. He's perfect, you know. Everything is." I responded to her, and she just smiled.
"He's a good boy." She agreed, gazing down at the table, then back at me.
"I'm happy you're his girlfriend Jasmine. He has really changed himself it seems like. Before he wasn't happy at home or school,  but now that you're in the picture, he seems more cheerful. I know it's all because of you, and I can't thank you enough." She says, making my heart melt.
"He saved me too. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have found out what love really means. I know we've been dating for only a few months now, but it just seems like forever." I admitted to her. She nodded in response.
"I know what you mean by that." She agreed simply. She seemed to have faced a lot of my life in away. With not feeling any love except from her mother, which changed, and Shawn's dad.
When the waiter came back with our food, the first thing I did was dip my fries and chicken in ranch. That's what I loved a lot.
"I remember the first time I came here, I ordered the same thing you did. It was my absolute favorite." She remembered, as she took a bite of her chicken. I did the same, which satisfied my taste buds; this was the best fried chicken ever.
:::
Shawn's mom drove us home right afterwards. Shawn wasn't home and I kind of expected him to not be. He was hanging out with Cory at the school playground since there was a basketball court there, or at least that's what he told me.
I decided to change into my new outfit for Shawn. I left my hair down and informed Shawn's mom where I was heading.
"Alright. See you later, but before you go..." She suddenly threw her arms around me giving me a hug.
"I love you so much." She whispers, then cradling me as if I was her own baby. I wrapped my arms around hers too, enjoying the hug. She let me go a couple minutes later and I headed to the school playground.
:::
Shawn
As I was playing my last game of hoops with Cor, we were turning it into a competition.
"Oh Shawn Hunter takes the crowd, them cheering for Hunter as he is close to the basket, but wait! Cory, the Cory Matthews steals the ball, and he throws." Cory acted like a announcer saying the exact noticed that were happening. He tossed the ball into the basket, a near miss. Cory sighed at what happened.
"And he misses." I teased, heading to go pick up the basketball. On my way there Jasmine was sitting on top of the railing of a boardwalk that led to the slides. Instead of getting the basketball to Cory, I went to Jasmine. I noticed she was in a new outfit, a light blue jean jacket with a long dress underneath. She was so gorgeous in it.
I faced in front of Jasmine, and wrapped my arms around her waist. I greeted her with a kiss on her lips then pulled away.
"Hey. Did you enjoy the time out with my mom?" I asked her, and she nodded.
"I did." She said as she wraps her arms around my neck, pulling me closer to her.
"Stop making me hate the single life." Cory insisted and I laughed.
"Go to Topanga's and ask her out already!" I suggested to him, but he shrugged.
"I would, but honestly I don't feel ready yet." Cory confessed. He was feeling so nervous over this. Cory needed to ask her out, those two were meant to be.
"And what about you and Jasmine? Do you think you guys will be a couple forever?" Cory asked, reading my mind.
"Yes I do." I answered, gazing into those glistening chocolate brown eyes of hers. Cory comes up to me and whispers something in my ear.
"Pick her up." Cory whispered, and I smirked with Jasmine was smiling at me simply. I took Cory's idea into mind, and pulled Jasmine towards me. She had her arms around my neck still, making it easier for me to carry her bridal style.
"Shawn I want a piggyback ride instead." Jasmine pleaded, and I dropped her to her feet. I sighed, but kept on a bright smile. I kneeled down and Jasmine hopped on top of my back.
"Where should we go?" She asked me, as we were walking. I bit my upper lip, thinking for a moment.
"I have an idea." I finalized at last.
:::
Cory decided to go ahead and walk home since it was getting late. He took his basketball home with him and left us alone. It was now dawn, as I was leading Jasmine over to the park. I hoped that time wouldn't go fast and just wanted it to remain daylight out in order for my plan to work.
"When are we getting there?" Jasmine wondered, breaking the silence between us.
"We are almost there." I confirmed. A couple minutes later, we were there.
"Jasmine, you ready to see one of the most beautiful sights ever?" I asked her.
"Yes." Jasmine answered. I dropped Jasmine down to her feet again and asked her to climb up the monkey bars.
"First off, close your eyes, okay?" I insisted. She did, and as she was climbing up she was stumbling at first since she couldn't see. I had a hold of her helping her up. Once we made it to the top of the monkey bars, and sitting in a secure position, it was time for Jasmine to open them.
"You can open them now." I allowed, and she does as I told her to. Once she caught one glance at the sunset, she gasped in awe. As we viewed the admiring scenery as the sky took a mind of it's own, transitioning into different vibrant colors as time passed, Jasmine rested her head on my shoulder.
"Watching the sunset is so satisfying and breathtaking, especially with you." Jasmine said, and I wrapped an arm around her waist and held onto her. Our feet dangled off the monkey bars, us feeling free like a bird soaring through the sky for the very first time. We remained on the monkey bars till it was dark out. The stars began to appear, enchanting the sky to have more of a sight.
I helped Jasmine with climbing down the monkey bars, and got a hold of her hand, leading her home.
"This was a good first day at home." Jasmine says, when we were almost at the trailer park. It made me grin. Suddenly, we bumped into someone. Since it was dark out, it was hard to see who it was at first. Until they spoke..
"Well if it isn't Shawn and his stupid girlfriend. I heard rumors she lives with you now.." It was Eddie and his gang. My shoulders became tense and broad when Eddie called Jasmine stupid. She wasn't stupid.
"She's not stupid." I replied, anger boiling up. Jasmine got a hold of my arm, trying to tug me away from them.
"Shawn let's go." Jasmine whispers. It was hard leaving right away since I was on the verge of bashing Eddie into a wall. Even if he was my half brother, it didn't make me love him. It was impossible to even hate him.
"I promise you we will get revenge. Just wait." Eddie threatened, still recalling that night when I beat up his gang.
"Not until I bash your head into a wall." I remarked. I flashed him a glare and continued heading with Jasmine to my trailer. When we got in, my dad was sitting at the dining table reading today's paper. My mom was cooking something, but when we walked in she glanced at us.
"Oh hey there. Did you enjoy your day out?" Mom asked, greeting us with a welcoming smile.
"Yeah we did." Jasmine answered.
"Well come on, dinner is ready. You got home just in time." Mom announced.
:::
Despite the scrumptious, liquidly taste of broth coming from the soup, I was still frustrated about Eddie. Thinking he could come and say that to me like he's the most admired human being for acting the way he was. I didn't think so. As I was getting ready to sleep on the couch, Jasmine got out of the bathroom. I remembered she went to go take a shower.
She was already dressed in her pajamas, which was a pair of pink bottoms with a white long sleeved shirt. It was a pastel pink at the color so it matched her bottoms perfectly. However, her hair was still soaking wet, but she still brushed it.
"You okay Shawn?" She asked me.
"I'm fine," I reassured her, and held out my arms for her. She came and St on my lap, some of the ends of her hair dripping water onto my shirt. I didn't really care though. She wrapped her arms around my neck, nestling into my chest.
"Can I sleep with you tonight? I just feel safe in her your arms." Jasmine whispered.
"Sure, only if you promise me one thing," I insisted, and she looked at me, giving me her undivided attention,"if Eddie starts anything, tell me. Or with anybody. It's my duty as the boyfriend to protect you."
"I promise." She murmurs. I kissed her on the lips goodnight, and she tried to sleep.
"I love you so much." I say, rubbing her back.
"I love you too." She responded back.
❤︎