Thirty-six ➵ multipov

A week later
Jasmine
It was officially now the month of February. A month after the declared year of 1995.
I was really anxious as to how the judges thought of my performance.
I wouldn't even receive the results til much later. I wasn't even sure if it was in weeks, or months. Or days, even.
I was caught in the kaleidoscope of wondering blur.
That was the only thing I had on my mind ever since then. Lately Shawn's parents had been quarreling lately, and it had given me quite the spook.
It wasn't like no other I've seen before.
My parents argued little, so I wasn't so used to it. This particular fight they were fomenting on terrified me for a reason.
"Chet! This is the fifth time you haven't shown up to work! What if you get fired again? Are you just going to keep piling up on this for the rest of your life and act like you don't have a family to be the man of?" Shawn's mom shrieked in his face. I was the last one to get woken up, but Shawn and I had headed out of the bedroom in unison. However, we backed up a little so we didn't get instigated or involved into this.
"Dammit Virna! For fuck's sake, I try hard enough. What about you huh? You can't even prepare a decent meal for us!" Shawn's dad hammered back at her, and I was taken aback. He's cussed, but not like this before.
In the corner of my eye their faces were red as a plump, polished tomato. It seemed as if it was transitioning into a darker red every second.
"You're a disgrace and a pig! I hate you! I hate you dammit! I always will and hate you." Shawn's mom wasn't even cussing like his dad was. However, she was throwing plates indicating some sort of action to add. It was like a movie you painfully observed like a hawk, but it was the honest reality.
Shawn however didn't seem bothered by it, but then I remembered he was used to it. He was used to this pain.
But I wasn't.
He sensed my sadness, and kept backing up, guarding me.
"Let's get out the back." He whispered to me, but I didn't move. What his dad stopped me for a moment.
"I hate these kids! I hate all of you guys! You are stressful as a fucking animal to take care of!" I heard the clashing of plates shattering and collapsing to the ground on purpose. Out of furious anger, and suddenly I heard Shawn's mom crying.
This was too much for me.
I shoved past Shawn and stepped out of the hallway where I captured the attention of his parents. I halted to a stop, making them realize what they had done wrong.
They returned all those splitting images and memories back to me of abuse again. Just when I was slowly starting to forget them fortunately.
I made up my mind about continuing to walk out the door, with Shawn and his parents calling after me.
I rushed to school, with Shawn galloping to get to my side.
"Jasmine." He grabbed a hold of my arm, and just twisted me around to meet his face.
I interred my body into his, just wishing I was hidden for the day.
I felt him stroke my hair repetitively, knowing that cheers me up a little bit.
"I'm sorry Jasmine." He said in a hummed tone showing his sympathy.
"Why did they have to do that?" I mumbled, but he still heard my voice clearly.
"I don't know..." His voice trailed off. He pulled away so he could caress me with endearing kisses, but held me as we leaned our foreheads against each other, having a moment together.
When we headed inside, there was mutters and rumors spreading  around.
It was about us. Yay, we happened to be the lucky bait winners.
"What's going on?" He asked, placing a hand over his backpack strap from his one shoulder, securing it. I shrugged, not knowing what was going on.
Suddenly, two preppy teenagers walked  towards Shawn and I, evil smirks veiling over their faces.
"You didn't hear, Shawn?" A girl with blonde hair asked. I recognized her right away. It was Paula Kelly.
"Hear what?" He demanded them, interested in what they had to say.
"You guys are both trailer trash. You guys legit live in the most disgusting place for a living surrounded by yucky, gross people who aren't even invested with a single penny." A girl with brunette hair targeted us. I was angry myself, but Shawn on the other hand, looked as if he was going to explode at any moment. He was about to get into their faces but I stopped him, grabbing him by the arm.
"I, Shawn Hunter, am not trailer trash."
"Shawn is trailer trash." I overheard from a football player that was walking by, and his friends that were with him chuckled at his sick joke.
People were just targeting Shawn now.
He was having a hard time, he rushed to the classroom, with me following him. Cory was already in class, and right away he noticed Shawn was displeased.
"Shawn, are you okay?" He asked. The bell rang, and Shawn didn't even say a single word. I went to Shawn quickly, and pecked him on the cheek.
"It'll be okay." I reassured him, causing him to glance at me. I sat in my seat, us staring at each other the entire time.
Although, he did seem happier when Mr. Turner was discussing partners for our new project: learning about some information about them then they had from before.
My partner was Topanga, no doubt.
"Someone who's my best friend- Jasmine Clayton." She stated. At first, she was planning to do Katie Couric because she thought he meant a famous person to research on.
"Oh please, I'm so perky. I have such a big smile. She's a phony. At least pick someone real." Cory's first response to when she said Katie Couric was that- being of a negative review.
"Ok Cory, who are you picking?" Topanga asked him.
"Captain James T. Kirk of the USS enterprise." Cory bragged with a goofy expression on his face.
"Come on, Matthews. Real people. The assignment is biography, not fiction." Mr. Turner declined, vaguely reminding him.
Suddenly Cory was heading into his dazed state again, making noises and covering up his ears.
"La, la, la.."
Topanga gotten a hold of his head, controlling him to come back and focus on the faced circumstance of reality.
"It's the truth."
"No it's not!" He declined.
"Matthews, come on. The guys 63 years old and wears a tribble on his head." Mr. Turner pointed out, not being satisfied nor interested in his character he chose.
"It doesn't have to be somebody famous. Just somebody real.... anybody you like." Mr. Turner pointed out.
"Anybody?" Cory asked, filled with interest.
"Anybody."
"Absolutely anybody?"
"Absolutely anybody."
"I pick Shawn!" Cory exclaimed, and Mr. Turner rolled his eyes.
"I pick Cory!" Shawn decided, seeming happier than before.
"You know you walked right into that." Topanga designated, and Mr. Turner sighed.
"I did, didn't I?"
:::
At lunch, Shawn and Cory were talking about the biography project.
"All right, Shawn Hunter. Now where are you from?" Cory asked his first question.
"I'm from here." Shawn answered honestly.
"Uh huh. Shawn was raised by wolves." Cory jotted down for the answer instead.
Shawn howled like a wolf, then wrapped an arm around my shoulder.
"So Jas, do you want to go out on a date with me Friday?" Shawn asked me.
However before I could answer, a group of kids walked by and shouted,"Trailer trash," right directly in Shawn's face.
I stood up from my seat, getting ready to yell at them.
"Shawn is not trailer trash." I scolded them, but they kept snickering about that joke. The next occurrence that happened was Shawn was no longer sitting next to me. I glanced back over at the cafeteria doors, realizing he had left.
So I did what I had to do.
I took a carton of milk, and headed to the football player, who were still snickering.
"Hey, Andrew. I have a surprise for you." I told him with a smirk.
"Oh really, what is it?"
I poured the milk on top of his head, and people began to laugh.
I smiled with a foolish grin appearing on my face, happy I got revenge.
If they didn't stop, I swear I would hurt them. They needed to stop.
Cory went over to me, asking me what was going on.
"I don't know. They just started teasing Shawn about where he lives. And I live with him. I don't know why it's just him most of the time and not me." I admitted, upset, crossing my arms in disbelief.
"He's supposed to come over to my house today. I'll talk to him about it."
"I hope he's okay. I know I'm going to Topanga's tonight for the biography section project research. Please. Make sure he is okay." I insisted to him at last, Cory nodding in answer.
"I'll see what I can do."
:::
Cory
I was concerned about Shawn's behavior today.
He seemed.... offended.
As if this trailer trash jumble was getting to him this time.
Fortunately, he had come over like we planned. He plopped a seat down at the dining table where the first thing I asked him if he was okay.
"Pssh, yeah I'm okay. Go ahead and continue to ask away."
"Are you sure Shaw-"
"I'm sure. Ask." He ordered, interrupting me. I sighed, then asking him another question for the biography project. However, it was interrupted when Mom and Dad arrived from home, along with Morgan, who went upstairs and heading back downstairs with a picture in her hand.
"Here's a picture for your biography."
It had been a baby picture of me playing in the sandbox at my childhood house. It was way before Morgan was born.
"Aww it's an old picture of you playing at the sandbox at the old house." Mom pointed out, and Shawn just expressed a grim look spreading across his face. You shouldn't have said that, Mother...
"You always had a house didn't you?" Shawn asked me, sensing enviably arising out of him rapidly.
"Yeah, but it was tiny and I spent most of my time playing in the sandbox." I replied to him, trying to make things better for Shawn. He needed to appreciate his life more. He had at least a stable home to reside in; unfortunately, there were millions of people homeless. I wish he would remember that.
"Yeah, I spent most of my time playing in the burnt-out old Chevy out back by the septic tanks." He recalled, coming out as a sarcastic remark more than a memory.
"Cool." I said with a sly smile.
"You staying for dinner, Shawn?" My mom wondered.
"No, not tonight," he denied the offer, but invited me to his house now,"why don't you come over to my place? My dad's broiling fish."
"On the engine of almost pick up?"
I conveyed, implying to him I didn't like the fish his dad made. I regretfully asked that question when he became hurt again.
"I thought you liked it last time..."
Shawn questioned disappointedly, his voice trailing off like an echo in a cave.
"Well, I did, it was just a little oily and anti-freezy." I simplified the matter, or at least tried to. Shawn had stood up from his table, appearing frustrated.
"Okay, I understand. Stay in your nice kitchen, eat your fancy oven-cooked food."
"We haven't even worked on your biography-"
"Hey, I lived, I died. No big deal." Shawn left with a slammed door, spooking me a little, and my parents exchanged a confusing glance with me, waiting for an answer.
I shrugged, feeling guilty, yet bewildered by what just happened.
:::
Jasmine
I decided to spend the night at Topanga's at the last minute. I was feeling a little exhausted with this jamboree of piled questions every five seconds. It was a bit overwhelming at times though, since it was questions scraping into the rough live I had lived through.
I even had to pause myself from not having some sort of breakdown over it.
I had called Shawn's parents and they were fine with it.
"Thanks for asking us sweetheart." Shawn's mom thanked me.
"No problem- uh is Shawn there?" I asked her, out of curiosity since I couldn't stop thinking about today.
"No. He must still be at Cory's. Why is something wrong?"
I didn't want to get her involved into this. I knew how much he hated adults compositing themselves into his personal life, including his parents. So, I told them a little fable that was half true, half not.
"No, no. I just wanted to make sure he was okay cause I miss him even after only three hours." I chuckled, making it seem like it was okay. Luckily she did too along with me.
"Okay, well I'm sure he's fine. See you later sweetheart. I love you."
"I love you too." I choked out. It made me miss my mom when she said that. She said it to me all the time, and she meant it.
I dressed into a cute outfit today, being a pale pink tank top with a black floral mini skirt to match. I had on white shoes with it, and my hair up into a ponytail securingly tied with a glittered ribbon.
Topanga, decided to do my makeup, mostly focusing on the lips- which happened to be a shade of dark pink.
"Jas, you look so cute! Shawn is going to love it." Topanga exclaimed, and I formed a fake smile. Shawn.
He was on my mind all night. With him being upset, I just couldn't bear that thought away. I haven't seen him since he left the cafeteria yesterday afternoon. Plus, our date was supposed to be tomorrow night.
I headed downstairs to find a two plate with omelets placed on the table.
"Hey girls," Topanga's mom greeted us warmly,"breakfast is on the table."
I headed to the seat and right away began to pick at the omelet.
"How are you liking that omelet?" Mr. Lawrence asked me.
"Good." I complimented. He formed a wide smile. Out of Dawn, Trinie, and me, I was his favorite friend of Topanga's. I wasn't into random things like those two. He considered me normal- like Topanga.
Nebbie, her older and only sister, was never around much. I've only met her once, but never spoke to her after that.
When I was focused on finishing my omelets, something on tv captured the apple of my eye.
It was a car accident that happened this morning.
My mouth gaped open, as they were talking about a five year old girl and her father finding out about them.
Topanga, who quickly noticed, scorched for the remote. When she found it, it was too late. I had already heard about the news.
"I think I lost my appetite." I said, overlapping my backpack over my shoulder. A memory had come back to me.
Today was the exact day of my mom's death anniversary. It had been almost ten years.
Ten.
"I'm sorry honey. I didn't know.." Her mom whispered.
"It's okay, I just- I gotta go."
I scrammed out the door in a rush.
Topanga called after me but I hid behind a tree so she wouldn't see me.
Tears escaped my eyes, pouring down into streams. I was having a little moment.
I couldn't believe I forgot about this. And this car accident occurred on the same day, a different year. I hoped for the little girl to not experience what I went through.
The pain,
the sorrow,
the grief,
and the abuse.
I didn't want to anyone to see me cry, including Shawn. It would just make him more stressed out then he already had been. So, I recollected myself quickly.
I headed to school, that thought being on my mind too. I felt it racing compulsively, causing me to want to breakdown again.
Suddenly I bumped into Shawn out of the blue.
"Oh, Shawn." I was taken aback for some reason.
"Jas! There you are. I was looking for you." He formed a grin on his face. I looked down, getting a hold of his hand.
I leaned my head against his chest, and asked if he was okay.
"Of course. I had a conflict though." He says, pulling me closer to him.
"What did you do?"
"Wait for it, wait for it.."
Just then, two of the girls who were teasing Shawn yesterday were soaking west walking with Mr. Feeny.
"Mr. Feeny! That hallway is flooded. Now we can't research for our biography project properly."
"Great. Now it'll only be accessible by canoe. Janitor Bud, get your big mop!" He ordered the janitor. Oh boy.
"You did that?" I was shocked.
"Yep, I just freed all the rats from the biology lab. And get this, I'm planning on turning the clocks ahead twelve hours." He finalized, intending to this crazy observational changes to the school. He was getting himself into trouble...
The bell began to ring, and Shawn appeared dismayed.
"I should of done that earlier. Great."
"Shawn, this isn't because of yesterday, is it?" I asked, feeling myself pull away from him. I was disappointed in what he was intending on doing. This wasn't even.
"It's for Cory's biography, Jasmine. I mean, I'm just nothing but trailer trash, that's all the people seem to want to go by for me. I accepted it." He admitted, and I crossed my arms in discontent.
"You are not trailer trash. You know I was being called that too."
"Yeah, but thing is Jasmine. You haven't had it rough like me. All my life, and now it's started again, I've been called trailer trash. Or known as that by everyone I knew. Including Cory." He pointed out, ranting about his problem, but I was offended by what he said.
"Excuse me?" I said, backing up a few steps.
"It's the truth Jasmine." He added onward to his claim, but it was biased completely. He was taking this situation to the wrong hands.
"You think you've been through much?" I demanded him.
"Yeah, that's what I'm saying." His voice raised an octave louder, and so did mine.
"May I remind you I've been through so much in my life. You think being labeled as that is rough?!"
"That's what I'm saying." He concluded. I narrowed my eyes at him, tears forming in my eyes.
"I'm out of here." I mumbled, but he got a hold of my arm.
"Wait, Jasmine, I didn't mean it-"
"I don't need your shit." I fired back at him, heading away from him. If only he knew what today was..
I rushed off to the restroom, upset the entire time.
I needed my mom with me. She would know what to do.
I locked myself into a stall and hugged myself.
"Why did you have to die, Mom?" I muttered under my breath. Hot tears steamed down my face, in a streaming notion. I must of stayed here forever, it seemed like cause no one got me. I ignored every bell. Until lunch came.
I didn't bother sitting by Shawn or Cory.
I refused to talk to Shawn at that moment, so instead, I sat with Topanga, Dawn, and Trinie.
When Topanga saw me she hugged me right away, then pulled herself off.
"Are you okay?" She asked me.
I nodded instantly, trying to reassure her I was fine although I wasn't on the inside. She hugged me again in comfort, and slipped away when two arms wrapped around my waist. I turned around to find Shawn, who had a sympathetic look on his face.
"I'm sorry about this morning, Jas." He apologized, and I accepted it.
"It's okay.."
He pulled me in a hug, embracing me tightly.
"I'm okay now..." He reassured me.
I nodded, allowing him to know I understood his concluding assurance.
:::
Shawn
Truth was.
I wasn't okay.
It was still making me insecure just about how much I was really trailer trash.
All of my life I've lived in no decent places. I've always worn clothes that weren't considered popular. However, only my charm was what considered and prospered into the coolness factor.
Now that this nickname has been increasing, I've been feeling frustrated about it. I would never be Shawn- a normal boy like Cory. With a decent functional life.
That's why I realized I needed someone who'd understand me the most. Someone like me.. maybe even people. And I even came to the right place.
"Hey!" I greeted them.
"Hey yourself..." It was Harley, Frankie, and Joey. They adapted from the same lifestyle as me. Maybe they could help me reach my potential to this. How to deal with being a trailer trash lowlife.
"I guess your heard about the stuff I've been doing around the school, huh?" I was honestly depending on the one home they heard about my recent accomplishments, but they weren't impressed.
"Why? Did you color outside the lines?" Harley remarked, and Joey laughed in his rat voice.
"Haha, that's a good one, color outside the lines," he turned from a comedian to the serious, delaying lackey he was,"listen squeak. We aren't impressed with your piddly little monkeyshines."
"Yeah, when you can wrap a grand jury around, then give us a jingle." Frankie added.
"Hey it's my first day, I'll do bigger stuff." I insisted, but they weren't interested in what I was acting with.
"What's the source of all these new aspirations?" Harley interrogated suspiciously, raising an eyebrow.
"I thought maybe I could hang with out." I suggested at last. Yet, they were denying me. Figures.
"Ha! Like it's so easy, right?" Joey joked again.
"We sincerely make it look effortless." Frankie signified, trying to classify my flaws into their aspirations. It was my duty to dignify myself as one of them.
This was where my background truly was all along.. to be with Harley and them. I was just like them too.
"Come on now, gentleman. We all need to be on the lookout for promising talent." Harley designated to the duo.
"So am I in?" I had a little hope, but Harley decreased it back down again.
"No." He declined again.
"You see, the membership committee is just not impressed enough to make you a full-fledged thug. We do,however, offer a nice internship program." Harley explained, and I was trying to understand correspondingly. So was I in, or not?
"That's how I started. And today, I'm a thug." Frankie boasted with a wide smile spreading across his face, revealing his big dimples.
Then Harley made an offer.
An offer that would impact my future for the rest of my life.
"So do you want to come and sit out in the parking lot with us?" Harley questioned once.
"And do what?" I asked back, excited. They were preparing themselves to leave, then speaking only once again, and that was it.
"Did you hear what I said? Sit!" He reminded me, then they left one by one.
"You got yourself a sitter!"
:::
Cory
Lately Shawn hasn't been spending anytime with me. As if he was ditching me on purpose. Today had proved why, but it still made me infer on other reasons I couldn't possible solve.
For example, right after lunch, I noticed that he was discussing with Harley and his gang to talk about future appointments I guess. It concerned me though, cause I heard him talk about doing bad things.
Bad things that wouldn't lead him anywhere where he needs to be.
So, I did what I had to do: confront him.
He happened to bump into me at the right time, so I was able to ask him that demanding question.
"Shawn, why do you wanna hang out with these guys?"
"What's wrong with them?" He demanded me back, glaring into my eyes.
"Listen. Whatever your problem is, these aren't the guys to help you." I instigated to him, and he didn't seem to understand. Instead, he towered himself in my face, frightening me a little.
"Oh, so you think I have a problem?" He demanded me.
The bell rang, but nothing could interrupt our quarrel.
"Class starting. Door shutting. Hunter, Matthews. This means get in." Mr. Turner pointed out. Shawn tried getting to class but I stopped him. Nothing was going to stop me til I had an answer.
"I think you're gunna have a problem if you hang out with guys like that." I informed him.
"They happen to be my kind of guys, okay? We belong to the same circle." Shawn left but I grabbed him by the arm, stopping him.
"Look, Shawn-"
"Cory, let go." He commanded me, and I did as he ordered me to do. He headed off somewhere else instead of Turner's room, shocking me a little.
"What's going on?" Mr. Turner demanded me, probably wanting to help us. But I had no information whatsoever.
"I wish I knew..." I mumbled.
:::
Jasmine
The next day was oddly off.
I came out of the guidance office along with Topanga since we offered to help and aid the counselors with some tasks.
I came to find Shawn talking to Joey and Frankie.
He didn't know I was behind him, since he happened to be kneeling down in front of me facing Frankie. I was confused as to what he would want with him. When they talked about Joey's first time as a lackee, I stirred up an idea.
"You get the bagels." Joey ordered the final statement.
"Bagels?" Shawn questioned.
"Bagels."
"That's it?"
"That's it."
I made eye contact with Joey, his eyes widening. He must of realized I caught him. I gestured to Topanga to go to class, since this was something to handle between only me and Shawn. She did as I said, heading to class.
When he stood up, getting ready to go to class, I confronted him once and for all by getting a hold of his arm.
He turned around to face me, astonished to find me talking to him.
Tonight was our date too.
Since I was at Topanga's last night, I never got the chance to speak to him either.
"Shawn, what's going on? I thought everything was okay?" I asked him.
"Well do you want me to be honest?" He demanded.
Honest?
"What do you mean-"
"I think we should go our separate ways and call it quits."
"Wait... you're breaking up with me over a name you just got called?" I assumed.
"What do you mean by that?" He demanded me, getting in my face.
Suddenly Cory came up to us, confused as to what was going on.
"What's going on? Shawn, what has gotten into you?" He demanded.
"You guys just don't get it do you.."
"Get what?" Cory and I questioned Shawn in unison.
"Cory, look at your parents. Look at my parents. Jasmine, you had a nice house.  And actually lived in a neighborhood. I didn't." He pointed out.
"Are you kidding me? You are saying I was lucky cause I had a nice house?!"
"Yeah. That's what I'm saying." Shawn confirmed.
"At least you never got abused your whole life, had a mother to look up to still, and never had to face the fact that just yesterday was the death anniversary of your mother." I yelled right in his face. Shawn was taken aback, but never said anything.
I waited a couple seconds, then left to the restroom.
:::
Cory
"Now look what you've done." I scolded him, referring to the recent fact Jasmine left us here.
"I'm outta here. With those three I can get there now." He said, but I still had something to say.
"Shawn-"
"Just let me get there now." He insisted. We both went our separate ways, and I couldn't help but slam my hand against the lockers. This problem was a whole entire mess now, and it needed to be solved. But I didn't know how.
Until my dad helped me cure this situation the next morning with his helpful advice.
"You know, Cory, you're pouring orange juice in your cereal." He pointed out. I realized after he said that I was, so I automatically stopped. I couldn't sleep at all last night, since Eric's subliminal learn to skate in your sleep tape was keeping me up all night.
"Oh..."
"You okay? You look sad though."
"It's just.. Shawn doesn't want to be my friend anymore." I pointed out to him.
"Why?" He asked, concerned, planting a seat down next to me.
"I don't know, it's stupid stuff. Like what snobby kids think. Now he's mad at me and Jasmine for no reason at all." I confessed to him.
"My guess Cor, is that he's really not mad at you guys."
"Yeah but why is he acting like it?" I questioned.
"Well people tend to push you away just when they need you the most."
His answer solved it all. That was why.
"Then he must really need me."
"Maybe he does." My dad agreed.
So I did what I had to do.
I came over to Shawn's trailer, and convinced Jasmine to come with me after I told her about my assumptions on this problem. And she knew exactly where he was.
:::
Shawn
Was this the right thing to do?
I was doing the initiation in order to get added to the group.
It was by wrecking Turner's bike.
I wanted to back away, saying I made the wrong decision. Head to Cory. Kiss Jasmine and apologize to her for what I've just done to her.
It was like a pair of scissors cutting the verge of the line on a piece of paper.
How I was on the close attempt of scramming.
"Clearly takes good care of it. Not a scratch on it, look how it shines.." Harley observed, causing him and the others to chuckle.
"You could eat it." Frankie commented.
"You mean eat off of it?" Joey asked.
"I said what I said."
"It's a real thing of beauty. It's a shame on what's about to happen to it." Harley states.
"What's about to happen to it?"
"You are, my friend." Harley answered. I gulped, shaking profusely.
"My advice on the first swing? Don't go for a home run."
"Just make some contact, huh?"
"May I recommended the headlight? Good noise, broken glass- a real crowd pleaser." Frankie suggested. Not helping me, Frankie.
As they pressured me to do it, I intended the swings- only for practice. It was basically stalling them.
"Swing batter, swing batter, swing batter..." Joey was chanting, but stopped after I missed on purpose.
"Can I take a couple practice swings first?" I asked them.
Frankie stood up, transitioning into a bullying monster, as he went in my face.
"You know what I'm thinking?"
"What are ya thinking?" Joey asked, stepping right behind him.
"I'm thinking he ain't got the guts." Frankie knew. I was frightened. It was me against the wall now, with Frankie possibly pounding me to the curb, with no help at all.
"Yeah I smell a chicken. A big one, extra crispy! I say we take him to the colonel. He'll pluck ya, fry ya, and serve you in a bucket with biscuits." Joey added, and Frankie's mouth watered.
"Ooh I just remembering something." Frankie remembered, and left. Probably a date with Gloria or something. Harley took charge again, since Frankie couldn't tackle me down.
"Ok Hunter. This is where we find out if you're really with us... go ahead." He ordered.
"Hey guys, what's up?"
I heard that familiar voice.
It was Cory.
Thank god.
"Come on Cory get outta here." I had to at least save him from Harley and Joey.
I also didn't want them to think I was a coward.
"Shawn, that looks like a bat. Could that be Turner's bike?" Cory observed. He was smart.
"Yeah you're right now would you leave?" I insisted, although I didn't want him to.
"Nah, this kind of looks like fun. Here, let me go first." Before I knew Cory was trying to take the bat away from me, but I pulled it back.
"Cory, let go."
"No, I'm gunna try it."
"You're not even supposed to be here!"
"Yeah neither are you!" Cory argued.
"Would you just me do this?"
"Look Shawn, if you're gunna do it, then I'm gunna do it."
"This is not your place okay." I pointed out. It wasn't his, or mine either.
"That's what I'm saying." I confirmed.
"If you belong here, then I belong here."
Eventually, we got interrupted by a door opening, revealing Jasmine.
I should of expected that. She went to me, then got a hold of the bat, dropping it.
"Shawn.." Her voice was mellow and soft, completely nonchalant.
"Jas..." She was my weakness.
She cupped my face, and kissed me on the lips, then pulled away right afterwards.
I didn't say anything though. I still had to act cool.
"You need to get out of here." I whispered.
"I'm not going anywhere." She denied my request. Knowing Harley, he could hurt her. If he did, I was beating him up with that bat instead.
"Hey, Baboon. We got something going on here. So I suggest that you walk away while your legs still bend only once." Harley threatened him.
"Listen Keiner. This is between me, and my friend. So I suggest you take your greasy head, and your rat-faced thug, and get away from my friend." At first I thought Cory had found a stronger side of him, until he appeared scared again.
Harley took this into his hands, getting into his face.
"Oh my, oh my my my." Harley teased him.
"Look, Harley, you got one punch, but you better make it good, cause chances are, it's gunna kill me." Cory insisted to him.
"Think so?" Harley smirked. He admired when his victims just predicted on what he was going to do. Often times: they were right.
Thank god, at the right time, Mr. Turner was here. But it was also bad timing. I was going to be in deep shit for this.
"Hey fellas. Whew, thanks for looking out for my bike. From my window here, it looked like some clowns were going to mess it up."
I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.
I didn't expect that.
"Yeah, psh, well I'm glad we just got here on time," Harley acted innocent, but we all knew he was the guilty prospect,"come on Joey, we got some appointments."
"When he said rat face, was that pejorative?" Joey asked.
After they left, Mr. Turner wiped his smile away from his face; he knew.
"Wanna tell me what the problem is here?" He asked us three.
"No problem." Cory insisted.
"There's no problem here, Mr. Turner." Jasmine assured.
"Everything's great."
Even Mr. Turner could seek through our reassurance.
"Who you kiddin?' Why do you want to hang out with these lowlifes?" He demanded me.
"Maybe I'm a lowlife too okay?" I snapped at him.
"Is that what you think?"
"It's what everyone else thinks."
"I wanna know what you think." Mr. Turner responded, and I picked up the bat.
"Hey! I'm out here with a bat aren't I?" I threatened him, or tried to, but he grabbed it away from me.
"Yeah! But you didn't swing it." He reminded.
"Just because Cory and Jas came along." I muttered.
"Oh you think that was an accident? That you have a loyal friend, and a loving girlfriend who both think of you, they are willing to put their own necks on the line," he stated, then he questioned me afterwards,"I don't think lowlifes have friends like that, do you?"
"I don't know."
"What do you mean you don't know, Shawn?" Jasmine questioned.
"They don't!" Cory added in.
"I don't even know anything, I don't even know who I am!" I ranted to them.
"Shawn, I know who you are. You are my friend, it says on your biography, I meant, what else do you need to know?"
"You're my boyfriend. The one I have always come to with anything. To trust, to tell my heart out. Explore ourselves. You just need to realize that with me, Cory. Everyone. You've always been yourself. It doesn't matter your background or home life. It's what's inside and that's what I love about you, Shawn." She explained to me.
"I need to know what's gunna happen to me and you can't tell me that." I pointed out, then Mr. Turner added his opinion again.
"Hunter: All Matthews can do is be your friend, and all Jasmine can do is be your girlfriend. And so far, they've been doing a good job," he spoke, then continued again,"all I can do is teach you whatever I can and hope that you'll leave my class a little better than when you came in."
"You mean drag the trailer park trash into decent society?" My eyes were teary, realizing that happened.
"Hey, if you know deep down inside you think you're all right, then I haven't taught you anything at all." He responded. I glanced from him to Cory, then to Jasmine. We locked eyes, holding our gaze. Her eyes were filled with entity and concerned, passionate love. Even when you couldn't hear her say smithing, you could read from her expression. It was definably meaningful.
"You think I'm alright?" I asked Mr. Turner.
"I think you need to think you're alright." He responded.
"You think I'm alright?" I repeated again.
"I think if you put your mind to it and get yourself back inside that school, then and never never go anywhere near this Harley, or that Harley," he gestured to the Harley, and referenced to Keiner, then he spoke,"then yeah. I think you'll be all alright."
I stood there for a second, making out what he was saying.
Doing as he advised me, I headed up to the building, leaving Cory, Jasmine, and Mr. Turner behind, heading to class.
:::
Jasmine
"Mr. Turner, do you think Shawn is going to be okay?" Cory questioned for the both of us, making sure after he left he would be okay still.
"Yeah. I think he will." Mr. Turner confirmed, all of us exchanging a glance.
Finally, it was all over.
Cory and I headed back inside the school, both relieved. We were in silence for a moment, until Cory broke it.
"Jasmine?" He asked, gaining my attention.
"Hmm?"
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry about your mother. About what's happened..." Cory apologized to me, demonstrating sincere sympathy.
"Thank you... but I'll be okay." I reassured, and we exchanged a small smile with each other, then focused on heading to class, like Shawn.
:::
The following Monday, everything was okay. It was all normal. There wasn't any problems with Frankie, Joey, or Harley, who wasn't at school even. Shocker, I thought.
The day started off good with us presenting our biography projects.
Topanga and I were the first ones to present, while Shawn and Cory were the second. I spoke first.
"Topanga: Moved here when she was two. Play's local games with her dad, and friends from this community. Rapid growth span for her dignifying intelligence. A sister named Nebbie. Knits with her mom in her free time."
"Lame." Cory groaned, and Shawn kicked him as a sign of scolding. It didn't stop me and Topanga from presenting.
"Jasmine: A spitting image for her mother. Inherits her astounding voice. Moved from New York to all the way over here. A talented and smart individual."
Topanga and I agreed to not overdue by saying or talking about my previous. transcending life. The path I had unbearably crossed ties with. Fortunately, I overcame that path, and met the finished line when I found Shawn.
Everyone clapped, although they didn't want to. It was out of respect. The boys were next, Shawn saying what he had to say about Cory first.
"Cory: raised from a small house with just him and his brother, then as an unexpected surprise, gaining a little sister. Honest, loyal, decent friend. Been friends since we were three."
Shawn and I made quick eye contact, then Cory spoke up.
"Shawn: raised by wolves. In and out five schools before he was twelve. Lit a cherry bomb inside a mailbox. Very lucky to have a home to live in without none at all." Cory stated, and everyone applauded again.
Later that night Shawn made it up and took me out on a date to Chubbie's; also to see a movie.
When we were alone at Chubbie's, Shawn picked me up and set me on top of his lap, making out it seemed like, until he pulled away.
"Jasmine?" He asked, making sure he had captured my attention.
"Yes?" I was stroking his hair, wondering what he was about to say.
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry about your mother. I'm sorry about I said." He murmured.
"I'm sorry too." I responded, and he furrowed his eyebrows.
"Sorry for what?"
"About what I said too. It was lowly of me. I shouldn't of done that."
"I'm glad we understand each other. That's the thing. We always find a way to solve a problem about it, and everything is good again." He stated, and I smiled.
"Me too."
Then I kissed him again.
:::
Author's Note:
THIS TOOK ME FOREVER. BUT IT WAS WORTH IT.
Thanks so much for 17k reads. Here's something in honor of that! I am gratefully appreciative of that!
This is officially the longest chapter I've written.
Here's a little dedication since this is my favorite episode of Boy Meets World. Or one of them.
❤︎