Thirty-one ➵ The Hunters P.O.V

Shawn
It was only a week before Christmas, and oddly enough I was finding myself to be in the Christmas spirit.
Jasmine had recovered of the night from the dance. We told my parents of the incident, and they were overwhelmingly protective of Jasmine.
My dad, in that matter.
"Eddie is such a piece of shit who shouldn't be messing around girl's to his advantage like that. That boy must be punished! No wonder he seems to avoid me. When I see him, or even at the most if I find him around here, I'm going to kill him." My dad harshly threatened, slamming a beer can roughly against the counter, spooking Jasmine a little. I knew from the moment he stated that, it was a promise.
The reason I was in the Christmas spirit, was so I could help provide a comforting Holiday for Jasmine to enjoy this year. Thinking on her previous ones, she never received a single gift. Except from her aunt, who sent her Christmas cards filled with money and packages to live her life on.
I wanted to make it enduring for her, and comforting. She deserved to have an experience for it.
One morning when she woke up from bed to get ready for school, I greeted her with a warm kiss.
"Ho, Ho, Ho, my beautiful angel," I murmured, thinking of a catchy flirtation,"what's the point in having the angel on top of the tree where there is one standing in front of me?"
Jasmine smiled, kissing me back.
"Good one Shawn."
"I made you breakfast." I pointed out to the dining table. My parents weren't home due to the fact they were working both jobs around town until Christmas. Mom was in with the idea of making this Christmas special for Jasmine too.
"Aww, thanks Shawn. You didn't have to do this." She insisted, but I shook my head in disagreement.
"Nonsense. You deserve it. It may not be like my mom's style of cooking, but I gave all my effort for you."
It was pancakes shaped like Christmas trees. Believe it or not, my mom had Christmas cookie cutters. Ever since I was little, she'd spoil me with lots of cookies to eat and leave out for "Santa."
Although Santa wasn't magical that much every year, it was still fun for my mom and me.
Jasmine cut the pancakes into tiny pieces and scooped one into her mouth, making an mmm sound.
"Shawn, these are good pancakes. The best ones I've ever had." She stated gleefully.
I formed a slight grin, as I watched her finish the pancakes one by one.
"How did you learn to cook so well?"
"Well, I was alone a lot, so I had to learn sometime." I admitted, running a hand through the back of my hair, and later flipping it.
"You should definitely cook more." Jasmine added, then swooping her backpack over her shoulders. She picked up the song journal Topanga gifted her for her birthday, securing it in her arms tightly.
After we got our stuff, I walked Jasmine to school with me. On the way there, it was snowing flurries out. I was thankful it wasn't that bad out.
When we made it to school, I remembered that it was two days before the last day of school. That meant finals were in two days.
Kill me now.
I knew what this meant, it meant that we had to study all day. Brain cramps for me to come! We were talking about it at the lockers about it today.
"So how do you guys think you will do on the final? I feel like as if I'm going to ace it." Topanga bragged.
"Well yeah cause you get straight A's." Cory added, and Topanga smirked.
"I feel like I'm going to as well." Jasmine agreed with Topanga, and wrapped my arms around Jasmine's waist, pecking her on the cheek.
"You are. I know you are my little brainiac." I teased, and Jasmine smiled slightly.
"Shawn and I are going to bomb the finals, but you know, hey! We should go on another strike! No more finals-"
"NO." I scolded him, remembering the last time we went on strike for finals. Before Jasmine came, I was obsessed with cheerleaders. When we went on that strike, Mr. Feeny threatened me by saying he would take the football players away, and the school dance.
Jasmine just laughed at my answer, and kissed me on the lips since it was time to go to class.
"I'm sure you'll do okay on the exams, Shawn. You are smarter than you think." Jasmine enlightened me with her words of encouragement, causing me to grin.
"I doubt it, but I'll see what I can do."

Virna
I was working this year full time so I could earn money to purchase Shawn and Jasmine Christmas presents. Valuable gifts, no cheap set, bland presents.
I was working 7 hours a day, earning $10 an hour at the Gray LaPànt Diner in town- a French restaurant that consisted of a bar too for alcoholic people. Not only was I working, but Chet was working odd jobs too.
It was dreading and stressful though, however, I had to work my butt off for this. I just had to.
Shawn, Chet, and I were all working each shifts at our jobs. We intended to this big plan we shared to make it a special Christmas for Jasmine since hers weren't so magical in her previous years. Getting abused and ignored, only receiving one Christmas present from her aunt who lives miles away. Poor girl.
I wanted what was best for her; the daughter I never had.
For Shawn, I wanted to make it special for him too. To make it up for the Christmas' Chet and I often fought in arguments over money problems, etc. Although, there was a tint of magic to this Christmas tradition we did.
It was making Christmas cookies together, just Shawn and I.
Chet would have to go get a real tree since we couldn't afford to buy a fake one from a store.
We had lights, and very few ornaments that were special to our hearts.
I was going to make it all worth it for Jasmine. Today had been paycheck day since it was a Friday. As soon as I was going to earn my money, I was going to the store and buying Christmas presents.
I even worked an extra shift so I could earn more pay.
Just then, during that extra shift, I found a guy drinking several bottles of beers right past closing. I tapped him lightly on the back, and he turned around angrily, causing me to back up a little at his scowl.
I took one brief look at his appearance.
He looked up at me, his eyebrows furrowed, his smile in a creased frown. He developed that hang over look which made me conclude he'd been drinking for days.
"What do you want?" He snapped, taking a whiff at his beer.
"You need to leave, sir. It's ten minutes past closing." I ordered him, trying to persuade him to leave by taking him by the arm but he pushed me slightly.
"Fine! Everyone just leaves me. Even my own daughter left me for a new family, and my wife left me. Those skank bag whores.." He gritted his teeth, an alcoholic stench evaporating from his mouth. That's when I recognized him.
This was Jasmine's father.
Remembering all of the brutal ways he abused Jasmine with and the fact he called Jasmine a skank fueled me up in boiling rage.
So I did what he deserved.
I slapped him across the face, sending him flying to the floor. He made a clamored noise, spoiling me a little.
Quickly, I escalated out the door,  with my paycheck firmly in my hands.
I headed to the truck, then driving away from the diner, and to the store. It was only 8:00 at night, so it wasn't too late to go to the store.
When I pulled in to the parking lot, I had a breakdown.
My heart shattered for Jasmine.
I just caught only a short glimpse of her life story into a five minute conversation.
Hearing harsh words like that, getting swatted around as if someone was trying to splatter a bug with a flyswatter.
After I recollected myself, I headed inside to Kohl's. All of the prettiest clothes in Jasmine's taste were bound to be there.
I browsed around for clothes, and jewelry too for Jasmine. I was going to purchase her gifts tonight then Shawn's tomorrow along with Chet.
I guess the reason why I decided to do that was because of the recent encounter with Jasmine's father.
As I looked around, I found several dresses in her size that she would just absolutely love.
I found other cute outfits she would like that I picked out for her as well.
I searched all over the shops for more gifts I could get her, then that's when I found the jewelry department.
Jasmine does like jewelry, I thought.
I headed over there and browsed for any jewelry that appealed to Jasmine's taste. There were necklaces and rings, earrings, etc. However, I didn't intend on getting those.
I came across a charm bracelet, with musical charms on it in a box. Underneath it was a note written in a cursive font tattooed on the box,"Keep on Singing."
She would love this.
I got it for her. I needed wrapping paper still, so I went to get a tube of red tin foiled like wrapping paper, than headed to the cash register to confirm my purchases.
I hope I wasn't gone long.
When I made it home, I sneaked them inside, pretending they were just random groceries. Luckily there appeared to be no sign of Jasmine or Shawn in the living room or dining room. So I sneaked to my room where Chet was in the bedroom.
"Hey where have you been?" He demanded me.
"I was out getting Christmas presents." I hissed, causing Chet to eye with the bags in my hands. I dropped them softly to the ground.
"I thought we were doing that tomorrow?" He whispered.
"It's a long story..." I mumbled, my voice soft, thinking of earlier.
"What happened?" He badgered, raising an eyebrow.
"It's Jasmine. I saw her father at the diner." I informed him.
Chet's face turned beet red, and began to roll up his sleeves.
"If he did something to you I'm taking care of this right-"
I got a hold of him by the arms, stopping him.
"Chet, he didn't do anything. I slapped him today, cause he called Jasmine a very bad word."
"What was it?" He asked. I whispered it to him so Jasmine wouldn't hear.
"That bastard!" He shrieked, stomping his foot. Chet was pissed. I shouldn't of told him.
"The reason why I got these gifts tonight is because I guess I felt sorry for Jasmine. Thinking with all she's been through..." I whispered.
Chet's face fell, becoming more lenient.
"Oh my gosh." He murmured.
"I feel so bad for that poor girl Chet. Making it up to her is honestly worth it." I found myself tearing up a little.
Chet cupped my face, then wiped my tear away with his thumb.
"It'll be okay. Look at her now. We've taught her to be strong and independent. Just see how it's getting her. Her and Shawn have their happy ending together." Chet responded. I smiled a little, nodding in agreement.
"You are right." I spoke.