Twenty-one ➵ Both

Jasmine
The next morning I woke up in Shawn's bed, not to mention he wasn't here. The invigorating ray coming down upon from the sun coming from the window helped impact the room with light.
I pulled out of the covers, wondering where he was. I went out of his room to find Shawn's parents up. Shawn's mom was actually cooking breakfast from what it looked like.
Once she saw me, she welcomed me with a warm hug.
"I'm so sorry about what goes on at home. I had no idea honey. I want you to stay here from now on." She insisted.
"Thank you." I said, thankful for her motherly treatment towards me.
"Go eat up now. I made you breakfast." It was a plate of eggs, bacon, and waffles. I did as she ordered and stuffed the waffles into my mouth. I wasn't realizing how starving I was until just now.
"Where's Shawn?" I asked, after finishing my last bite of the breakfast. I noticed there still wasn't no sign of him.
"I don't know, he said he was going somewhere. He should be back anytime now." His mom was the only one who was responding to my conversation, with Shawn's dad digging his nose deep into the newspaper. I guess I understood where Shawn was coming from when he told me his dad didn't take too much interest in things, either if it was skeptical or not.
All of a sudden Shawn came through the door holding a bag in his hand.
"There you are Shawn! Where have you been?" His mom asked.
"I bought an outfit for Jasmine since well, I thought it would make her feel a little welcomed here since this is her new home." Shawn says, handing me the bag. I greeted him with a kiss and opened the bag which revealed a pair of jeans with a long sleeved sweater- not to mention a pair of shoes too.
"Awww thank you." I acknowledged him, expressing my gratitude for him.
"Are you guys getting Jasmine's stuff today?" Shawn's mom asked, as I stood up from the table to head to Shawn, grabbing a hold of his hand.
"Yes for sure. I'd like to teach that damn father of hers a lesson for abusing her." Shawn's dad declared, finally joining into the conversation. You could tell he was serious and determined by not let alone the expression, but the way he threw away his newspaper on the dining table with a loud slam.
"Dad." Shawn murmured, astonished by how his father was acting.
"I know what you're thinking Shawny. I may not do a whole lot for this family, I'm not a great father most of the time, but I know how much Jasmine means a whole lot to you, and she means a lot to this family as well dammit. It makes me thrilled knowing you have someone who is that one light in your life, out of all the darkness, that she's the one light you always look forward to in this lifetime. So i'm going to set that guy straight before we just take her away like that." His dad exclaimed. Shawn began to smile, and hugged his dad, then pulling away.
"This means a lot dad, but I don't think it's the best way to go by punching him. I think we need to make this as content as possible." Shawn warned him.
"Fine, but if he thinks of doing one thing to Jasmine, it's my right to hurt him. And it's going to be very painful not a needle shot painful, but worse."
:::
We left Shawn's trailer right afterwards. On the way there I knew something had happened last night. A reeking stench filled through my nostrils, incorporating a mixture of booze, gas, and tobacco. When I entered my house, the scene proved it to me; something horrible happened. Broken glass was scattered across the floor, bottles cracked, with cigarette butts piling up on the floor. It was all a pulverized mess.
"Let's head upstairs, that's where my room is." I whispered. Shawn got a hold of my arm, remaining close to me at all times in case anything was to occur. When we made it up to my room, Shawn helped me with packing all of my clothes into a suitcase. We did it as quickly as we could. Not only were we picking up my clothes, but all of my belongings. Shawn's dad wanted me to take the mattress, but I wasn't sure about it.
We decided not to and stuck with the other items we could easily take home. For example we decided to take my blankets- especially my favorite which was a blue soft one. I remember when my aunt got it for me when I would spend time with her back in New York. I also picked up my pictures, my guitar, and my songbook. As we were spending the last few minutes retrieving a lot of my belongings. the door opened revealing my drunken dad.
"Who are you?" He demanded, referencing to Shawn and his dad.
"I'm someone you're not going to like here within the next few minutes-"
"Dad, no," Shawn interrupted him, "Jasmine is staying with us from now on."
"No she isn't. She resides her, right Jasmine?" He said, grabbing me by the shoulder, but I pulled myself away from him.
"I just can't take anymore of the abuse here. I want to stay with Shawn from now on."
"So you're leaving me just like your shithead of a mom did huh?" He remarked. I stood there in silence, a tear streaming down my cheek. Shawn noticed me beginning to cry when he wraps his arm around my shoulder, allowing me to rest my head on his shoulder.
"GET OUT!" My father bellowed, throwing his beer bottle at me, but Shawn pulled me away from it, the both of us dodging it. We did as he ordered, and rushed down stairs. That was going to be the last time I was ever going to see my father.
:::
Shawn
Once we returned back home, my mom was getting a head start on Jasmine's room by trying to clean it with vacuuming it up. It was my room yes, but it was either going to be for the both of us. Who knows.
My mom came out of the room noticing our appearance.
"Yay! You're back. Jasmine I'm glad you're staying with us. It may not seem like much but I hope you'll love it here." She said.
"Thank you." She acknowledged. My mom went to go hug her, then me. We pulled away afterwards so we could get started on putting somewhat of Jasmine's stuff in the room she was staying in.
We only had two bedrooms and one bathroom. So, that meant she either had to keep my room or we had to share it. Since dad had a spare dresser he never used, we used that to put Jasmine's clothes in there, just like I did with my dresser.
As we were adding some of Jasmine's items to the room, I came across a picture of what it looked like to be her and her mom. It was a great picture too. It appeared to me that with her mom holding a baby in her arms and in a hospital gown it revealed that Jasmine had been born. The picture was settling in a pastel pink frame, with the words,"I love my daughter," in bubbled cursive letters at the corners.
I set it gently on her bed stand, so that way whenever she wanted to she could glance at it.
After we were done furnishing the room to make it as satisfying as possible for her comfort zone, Mom started making dinner. Dad said some words of comfort to make Jasmine feel more at home, and left us alone.
"Do you like your room?" I asked, taking a seat on the bed.
"Yeah, I do. You know Shawn it was originally your room. You don't have to label it as my room now." Jasmine insisted, but I shook my head no.
"I know, but this is your place. I figured it would be your room for a while." I responded. She looked down at the floor then glanced at the picture on the bed stand.
"That's my mom." She recalled, taking it.
"Your mom was very pretty. She looks like you." I pointed out, and she nodded. She got a hold of it, staring at it.
"Yeah I remember when my mom got that frame, and my dad- when he was a non alcoholic- took this picture. We spent so much time together. I really miss her." She mumbled, and I wrapped my arm around her shoulder. I felt so sorry for her that she's been through so much. We may have not a lot to offer her but I hope she will enjoy her stay here.
:::
After we ate dinner- which was spaghetti since it was what Jasmine craved, we were getting ready for bed.
I was helping Jasmine get settled into the bed especially since she had trouble sleeping last night.
"You'll be okay, right?" I asked her.
"Yeah I should be," she says, expressing her gratitude with a kiss,"thank you."
I headed out to the living room to sleep on the lounge chair, and laid there tor a while before physically going to sleep. I thought about Jasmine.
I saved her from getting hurt.
:::
Jasmine
I laid awake in bed, trying to sleep. Thing was, so many thoughts flooded through my mind. It was like one giant storming having a complete downpour and just not stopping. I turned to look at the picture of me and my mom. I took a hold of it, then hugging it close to me.
"This is my life now momma," i whispered,"your jazzy blues is residing with her boyfriend now. I know you'd be disappointed in dad for how he has dealt with me since you passed. I'll miss you forever."
I held onto it for a while, until the sound of howling erupted from outside.
It must of been wolves or coyotes.
I reassured myself that it was nothing, and just tried going to sleep. But...
"Cletus! Get your head out of your ass and go support this damn family you Tim peck looney bin shithead!"
The screaming kept me up the entire night. I needed Shawn.
The sounds of broken bottles and other items being thrown reminded me of home. I sneaked out of the room, and I felt guilty, but I had to wake Shawn up.
When I walked towards him, he was sleeping peacefully. Maybe I shouldn't wake him. I was about to turn away when one of his eyes opened. Once he caught sight of me he woke up.
"Jasmine? Are you okay?" He asked me.
"I got scared again." I said softly.
"It'll be okay." He reassured me.
"It reminded me of home, with the sound of bottles...." My voice trailed off as Shawn stood up and gave me a hug.
"I'm sorry," he consoled in my ear. His hugs were so soothing, with his hand rubbing my back up and down repetitively. He let me go, and offered to rest with me.
"It's just for comfort." I replied to him. Shawn nodded and headed with me to my room. I slipped into bed and he did too, him laying right beside me.
"You want to talk for a while?" He asked me.
"Sure." I answered.
We sat up, talking for a while. As we we talking about any subject, being able to communicate with each other about anything. I had my arms wrapped around Shawn's waist for comfort, laying my head on top of his chest. I felt so comfortable.
I heard him talking about how him and Cory were when they were younger. Or when he was younger in general. His life was so interesting, if I could, I would want to learn about it forever.
:::
Shawn
"Did you know I lit off a cherry bomb on a mailbox one time?" I whispered. Jasmine didn't respond. I looked over to see that Jasmine was sleeping peacefully on top of my chest, using it as a pillow. She was now able to sleep.
"Oh, alright, I see what's going on. I'll just tell you later." I didn't went her off of me. It made me feel good having someone to finally to talk to, someone to make me feel as if I'm not alone. Before Jasmine, I was empty. She makes me feel things I never have before. I was thankful to have a girl like her to finally be with at night, stay up talking, and to cuddle with.
Now whenever my parents were out, I  would go to her.
I planted a kiss her on her forehead, and shut my eyes. I pulled Jasmine closer to me, and fell asleep.
"I love you Jasmine Grace Clayton."
❤︎