Book 8⌇7. Pizza?

Chapter 7 ∣  Pizza?

-Eris

When I had woken up, it was quite quiet. After putting on a pair of faded jeans and a long sleeve green and black shirt, I was able to find the pair of ebony boots that Arlynn left for me. Putting on a pair of white socks and zipping the boots up, I sighed, knowing it would be an adventure just to go to the bathroom without running across the others who lived within these walls.

As I approached the door to the bedroom, taking hold of the handle and peering outside. Once I had decided the coast was clear, I fully came out into the hallway, shutting the door quietly behind me.

Did someone die?

At least, on this level, silence greeted me, walking with caution to the bathroom door. I looked side to side and then back down the hallway, wondering if this was prank. Much to my delight, it wasn't, taking my time brushing out the knots of my long dark hair, pushing the hair back over my shoulders once I was done.

Brushing my teeth and then heading back into the hallway, I let out a huge sigh of relief. A thought had crept into my mind that maybe Maverick was waiting to ambush me like the previous time, but thankfully, he was nowhere to be seen.

When I did manage to find a clock in this large mansion, it was well past 2:00 AM, having not slept that much, my body still aches just slightly. The bruise on my wrist, still stuck out like a sore thumb, glaring at it at the thought of him so carelessly harming.

If I really were his beloved, then why would he hurt me?

Why would he have let me die in the first place?

Was he not strong enough?

Could he not save me?

My eyes widened, walking down the marble staircase, and breathing in sharply.

How did I die?

Once I reached the bottom landing, I caught sight of two vampires speaking with each other, their chatting ceased once I was within distance. Shifting my eyes away, I rounded the corner and headed straight for the kitchen, my stomach deciding for me that it was time to eat again.

When I came into the kitchen, the doorway opens wide, I saw her again.

Evie. The Vampire Queen, sitting at the table with what looked to be a few papers she was looking over. Turning away and gripping the door frame, I was about to make like a bandit and get out while I could.

My muscle tensed and I froze when she sighed softly, "Leaving so soon my dear?"

"I...umm forgot something," my voice dropped as I shook my head, the lie coming from my mouth was clearly not enough to fool her.

Evie's whitish-blue eyes glanced in my direction, motioning to the table, saying, "Why don't you have a seat?"

"I-I guess so," I responded, my confidence level just plummeting around her. She had this presence about her, a strong and confident one. It looked like she'd been through a lot in her lifetime and it had changed her as a person, reflecting through her actions.

Pulling out the chair at the far end she tsked at me, "Come sit beside me."

Pushing the chair back in, I edged into the seat on her left, unable to keep my eyes from wandering to the papers she had in front of her. It was written in a language I could not understand, my eyes lifting to hers when I asked, "If you don't mind me asking, why don't you have an office or somewhere private to read stuff like that?"

She smiled and replied, "Oh, I do, though it was a certain someone that said you'd be here about this time."

Who was that? I never told anyone.