Book 8⌇23. Flickering Out

Chapter 23 ∣  Flickering Out

-Eris

"Lovely little succubus," his voice made me sick inside, but my demon continued to allow him to touch me, the desirable feeling of his skin connecting with mine...I couldn't do anything. His fingers traced up my jaw from my chin, taking a slightly firm hold on the back of my neck as his vivid purple irises remained locked with my own translucent green orbs. The Commander to the King of the Dominion Plane...he ruined my life...well, he was a part of its slow descent to my mind breaking.

Maverick...stop this.

Why?

I have no response. This thing is playing her own game and I'm just along for the ride. Her strength is unmatchable and it's the weakest I have felt.

"I believe you're lacking energy, care to join me?" His lips curled up in a twisted smile.

Don't...don't...

"Unfortunately, I'm already taken for the night," I winked at him and before I know it, I pushed up off the ground as my lips contacted his. There was a dark growl from the back of his throat and he quickly deepened the kiss, my breath stolen away as my heart rate accelerated. There was a warmth that started at the base of my spine, slowly working its way up to the base of my skull and I was afraid he'd end up seducing me, but I was wrong.

That feeling was blocked. The dominance of the kiss stolen by my own tongue dancing with his. My left hand cupped the side of his face, his skin heated as my other touched his at the back of my neck. When I suddenly drew my lips away from his he let out a gasp as the whitish-blue wisps left his parted lips and traveled through to me. The energy was exhilarating. The need to take more became harder and harder to resist, thrown into the merged feelings that my demon was forcing me to experience.

Though, in the next moment, everything cut off. I stopped, my lips pulling into a smirk. My eyelids fluttered open and our electric blue irises caught each other in a stare that rendered me speechless. His voice was lowered when he chuckled, "Oh, I see how sly you are. Well, love, the name is Harlan and if you need any further...assistance, feel free to ask for me at the palace."

"I'll remember that," I relinquished my touch to his cheek and hand, and he sighed before he too released me.

His eyes narrowed on mine, breathing in, and asking, "And your name lovely? I don't recall catching it."

"That's because I never gave it," the slyness continued, and he was enjoying this hunt far more than I was.

He arched a brow before stating, "You have an uncanny resemblance to someone who is long since left this world..."

"How about this," I struck a deal, knowing I'd definitely keep my end of the bargain, "I'll tell you my name when I ask for you."

It was Harlan's turn to smirk and with a slight nod of his head, he brought his lips down near my ear and whispered, "I'll hold you to it. Don't make me come find you, love."

"What if I'm counting on it?" The way the words came out, I knew the demon was seducing him, making me angry and trying to fumble for just a tad bit of control. It came out when I instantly went to hit his upper arm. She stopped it though, catching his arm and squeezing it firmly, playfully.

You bitch!

Don't you want him dead?

No! I want everything to stop! You're going to get us killed...again.

No, because you were in control and weak as fuck. I'll finish this, with or without you on board.

"Careful," Harlan trapped my wrist and twirled me around while fighting with the demon inside of me, With my back to him, I felt his lips against my neck, kissing my flesh before stating, "I just might not be able to wait...you're so tempting..."