Book 8⌇45. From Centuries

Chapter 45 ∣  From Centuries

-Eris

"Are you okay in there?" I heard Zak rap his knuckles against the wooden door to the bathroom I was currently resting in. My elbows rested against the sink, running my hands over my face, and then pushing back my hair. My face is flushed, the clenching of my stomach making me feel more nauseous after seeing my breakfast come back up.

I started feeling queasy a few days after Maverick left, finding it hard to keep anything down in the morning, but it gradually got better as the day went on. At some point, a dreadful thought crossed my mind that maybe this was a result of the demon being detached from me, but then side effects should have started right after I would have thought.

Then I thought...I'm anxious now that Maverick is away...

No...I'm fairly sure I have a good idea of what it is and if I'm right...I'm not sure what to think. We said it'd be best to try sooner than later, due to my limited time in this world. Aside from the promise he made me to only attempt to turn me if I was dying...I figured I have at most like fifty or so years to spend with him.

I lifted my hands away from my face and gripped the edge of the bathroom counter.

"Eris?" Zak called again, the knocking on the door reverberating through the tiled room.

Pulling it together, I brushed my dark hair back and tied it at the base of my neck. After securing it, I suddenly opened the door and almost made Zak fall face forward into me as he'd been listening with his ear next to it.

He eyed me up and down, furrowing his brows but didn't ask me anything. Instead, I was the one to ask, "Can you take me to a grocery store?"

Again, Zak couldn't quite understand what was going on and he asked, "Why would you need to go to the store? We have plenty of food and someone else can go for you as you're the Queen now."

My free-range has ended now...constantly being watched like a hawk. I groaned, my hands landing on his shoulders as I pushed him aside and out of my way. I walked over to the edge of the bed, sitting down, and pulling on my boots, lacing them up while Zak took cautious steps toward me.

"Eris, you can't leave, it's not safe," he reminded me, and I scoffed under my breath.

When I lifted my eyes to meet with his, I pulled down the hems of my jeans over the boots and stated, "It's not dangerous if you come with me. Nobody knows I'm the Queen outside these walls except the select few coven leaders that were present. I hardly would think the wolves would know..." my voice trailed off.

Zak sighed, his white irises narrowing on me while he crossed his arms in front of his chest. Rubbing his forehead, he said, "If you tell me what it is you need I'll go and get it for you."

"Uh," I was stumped for a second while I rose to my feet. When I shook my head, attempting to walk right past him, he weaved his way right in front of me, blocking the door. I tried to move around him again, but he kept blocking my way. I finally gave up and said, "Move, Zak!"

"Eris, Maverick will literally kill me if something happens to you so jus-"

"-pregnancy test," I cut him off, my eyes locked onto his.

His face appeared to be in shock, almost as if he hadn't heard me as he asked, "A what...?"

"I need a pregnancy test," this time, when I tried to move around him, Zak caught my upper arm in his hand and brought me back toward the bed. Before I could protest, he sat me down at the edge of it, turning on his heels and heading for the door. I exclaimed, "Hey! Aren't you-"