Book 8⌇44. I'll Sacrifice For Us

Chapter 44 ∣  I'll Sacrifice For Us

-Evicka

My mother made it blatantly clear that this was a horrible idea, that someone else could have volunteered. She kept talking about the lives lost at the hand of Kadessa, that trusting hunters is never a good idea. The thing is though, if it were any other individual to step up and take the challenge, Rainier wouldn't hesitate to kill them for absolutely no reason except for the fact that they are a vampire and his mate was assumed killed by a vampire. We captured Hendrix, but Rainer doesn't know who killed him...thankfully.

Lucca continued to fume at my decision while he remained back a few hundred yards with the rest of the vampire coven leaders who were keeping a watchful eye. I was standing on a ledge next to a cliff face, just outside of the territory where Rainier now led the pack, my nerves on edge at the thought that maybe I'm giving him too much credit and he very well will kill me the second he sees me.

Did I tell Maverick that?

No.

A hand touched my shoulder, relaxing my muscles for a second once I could feel my father's presence surround me. I let out a heavy sigh and asked him, "Are you going to tell me that I'm crazy as well?"

My father chuckles and stated, "Why would I do that?" His touch left me, coming to stand next to me as he arched a brow, "I already know you're crazy."

"Haha...very funny dad," I punched his shoulder and he couldn't help but laugh.

He noted, "You were the one who was crazy enough to go after Ronan yourself."

Great, he really is here to convince me to stand down.

"However," I glanced at him and saw the look in his eyes before he continued, "these are your hunters, you know them better than anyone else and if anyone can survive walking in there it is you."

My hunters...

I haven't heard that for a while. I had always been more focused on my family and after everything we've been through, I don't want it to end like this. I won't let it; we need to at least get a glimpse of who Chase is. We're chasing a ghost at this point and at least need to put everything into perspective before we make our next move.

"Dad..." my voice trailed off and his icy blue eyes locked with my own.

"Evie?" His questioning look made him unease, shifting my stance as I could see the pack beneath the cliff face. Most of the members were either enjoying a barbecue, while others were playing games however, the few that held stern looks were the ones who continued their hate for what had happened to their Alpha.

My eyes gazed down, locking onto the only individual that mattered, Rainier, walking with another male as he pointed in a direction and then continued on his way.

"Don't let my son do something stupid," I told him, narrowing my eyes as Rainier continued to walk to the furthest reaches of the encampment.

My father replied calmly, "Only when my daughter doesn't either," somehow, I knew he was going to pull something like this.

All of the coven leaders were waiting for me, for something to happen. The moment I saw Chase, my orders were clear to run, capturing a mental picture and allowing us to use his identity for future initiatives.

It was now or never, and my nerves were ready to force me to turn away. Instead, I brought the inner flesh of my wrist to my lips and bit down hard with my fangs. The blood poured from the wound, lowering my wrist as I manipulated the blood into a flat disk. Just as I had once stood at the edge of that cliff years ago, I stepped out onto the hovering disk, glancing back at my father.