Book 8⌇47. Awareness

Chapter 47 ∣  Awareness

-Maverick

Arlynn's news came as no surprise.

With the way my mother had killed the werewolves, telling us how she'd let Rainier live...I nearly lost it. She knew he'd been the one to pull the trigger and end Eris' life, yet she let him live out of all the individuals present. It angered me, but she just shook her head and stated that she wouldn't end his life...just as I'd done many terrible things, he'd made one mistake, chosen to align with another and he should be given a chance to be redeemed for his actions.

It doesn't feel particularly good, the shoe being on the other foot. Here Chase was, willingly to do anything to kill me, stopping at nothing until I was dead...even enlisting the aid of my father to do the dirty work for him. I feel alike to him, wanting Rainier dead without even stopping for a second to question him...to see through the surface.

With the deaths of the covens she'd mentioned, it appeared we only had a day or two at best before they would soon be at our doorstep and we'd been in for one hell of a fight. Although, with the amount of strength we had behind these doors, I'm not sure who should really be afraid, ourselves...or the werewolves.

"Maverick?" Eris' voice questioned me, uneven as I turned away from shutting the door to the bedroom. My gaze instantly fell on her, standing near the edge of the bed with an uncertain look on her face. Her eyes shifted back and forth as she searched my face, wanting further explanation.

I wanted an explanation as well...

...Erebus was seated downstairs in the kitchen with Isabella. They weren't the only guests I had, Orion and Cristela also having made the journey across the country from their secluded home, hidden in shadows from the werewolves.

"I'm sorry," I released a breath and walked away from the door, my eyes falling on her slightly shaking form as I questioned, "what's wrong?"

At first, she parted her lips quickly to speak but then paused a moment before stating, "I was worried...I didn't know when you would come back as you were longer than you planned on being away."

Her gaze shifted away from mine, halting my footsteps a few feet away from her. I raised my hand, cupping her cheek delicately as I brought my lips down upon hers. She breathed out, a small sigh escaping her lips as she kissed me back softly. Eris' lips pulled away from mine, biting her lower one as she all but whispered, "I'm pregnant."

"What?" I questioned her; unsure I'd heard that correctly. My eyes met with hers as she nodded her head gently, the look in her eyes one of hope. Her heart hammered loudly in her chest, the blood rushing in her veins as it traveled to her face, a tinge of pink lingering behind in her cheeks.

"I said," she gently took my hand into hers that cupped her now warm cheek. She brought it down, lowering my hand until it was flat against her skin, her other hand had lifted her shirt slightly. The second my skin contacted hers, I felt that flame between us, the need to be with her, to protect her, and now...

...a flicker of a heartbeat that does not belong to her beats steadily beneath my touch.

I couldn't stop the smile that made its way onto my lips. My eyes lifted to meet with hers, tears having sprung while I'd been so moved by the beauty within her and all that she is. I let them slide down my cheeks as she too teared up, my hand leaving her abdomen as she threw her arms around my neck. She buried her face against my chest, breathing me in as I did her scent, kissing the top of her head as a mix of emotions flooded my mind, body, and soul.

I was at a complete loss for words, that was until I heard the rapping of knuckles against the other side of the bedroom door. Breathing out while pulling away and staring into Eris' teary eyes I replied, "Yes?"