Book 8⌇14. You're Seducing Me...

Chapter 14 ∣  You're Seducing Me...

-Eris

"You won't believe me, but I'm sure as your memories start to come back, you'll soon find out for yourself. After everything I've explained, just understand that I wish I could have saved you. I wish I could have been strong enough to find you before the wolves and hunters," Maverick was pained, explaining to me everything that happened...it was hurting him. "I can't change the past, but I want to help you to a new future."

My head hurts.

I sat back down against the edge of the bed, my hands falling to my sides as I sighed, "A sex demon...I'm still finding that hard to believe," I glanced up at him and I couldn't help the grin that came to my face, "and I actually beat you?"

He narrowed his eyes and scoffed, "I let you win!"

"Funny...that's not how you made it sound," I laughed. It was nice to laugh and the look on Maverick's face was nice. He too smiled and let me have my victory that apparently, I'd whooped his ass during one of our spats. Well, if being a demon made it so I could overpower him, I'm actually missing that...

"When a memory surfaces, just tell me..." Maverick's voice trailed off, my eyes finding his captivating hazel blue orbs, "I might not know everything, but I'll try to help you understand. I'm just thankful that you are regaining them, Rook said you wouldn't have any and never mentioned if you'd be able to recall them somehow."

He really is trying to help me.

"And my soul?" I asked, still trying to grasp the idea of what he told me.

Maverick arched a brow before stating, "I don't know, it's what sex demons do apparently to bond with their soul mates. Apparently, because I don't have a soul, I couldn't give you anything in return, so that's why you couldn't escape. I made you weak and maybe if we hadn't bonded w-"

"No, don't say that," I was feeling a sadness enveloping my body. Something pulling at the back of my mind triggering these emotions and feelings I held for him deep down. They were surfacing and I wasn't sure what to do with them. There was one thing I knew for sure because every inch of this body wanted to be as close as possible to him, my soul is drawn to the missing piece, "If you are my mate, then nothing could have stopped this from happening."

"If I hadn't been a reckless, uncaring monster, yes it could have been stopped," Maverick was frustrated with himself. He told me about his past, making me see exactly what had happened to him and the events that led up to use meeting. I had changed him though, his family accepting him for the choices he made after connecting with me.

I made him a better person.

"You're not a monster," I whispered, looking down at the floor, feeling ashamed for judging him before trying to understand what happened to me. "I'm sorry I called you that..."

"It's fine, Eris," he sighed, but I could feel that draw becoming harder to ignore with every second that he continued to stand near me. The memories I had regained, had shown me exactly how forward and what little restraint he had around me and I wondered how he was able to control himself. He could easily have killed me in the bathroom, the way he didn't lash back out at me...with discovering the roots of his past, I'm surprised.

It went into an awkward silence, glancing up to see he was looking at something off on the wall, probably wrapped up in his own thoughts. Slowly rising to my feet, he stood a few feet away from me, my eyes trying to find what he was looking at. When he remained silent, I decided maybe he needed to be the one left alone, sidestepping him and taking a few steps toward the bedroom door. With each step I took, I felt that pull under my skin, the warmth falling away.