Book 8⌇13 She's Such a Brat

Chapter 13 ∣  She's Such a Brat

-Maverick

Someone could have snapped their fingers. That is exactly how quick the small group of necromancers vanished along with Rook, Lucette, and...Tamsin.

Sitting in my chair, the silence that was unnerving between my grandfather and Killian passed with each second. Rubbing my forehead, I'd learned a lot. Despite their presence interrupting me from the only thing I wanted to do this entire time since we came back to the sanctuary, now nothing would stand in my way.

Who would have thought that vampires were once slaves? Now that's a story I'd love to hear.

Though, one question still remained.

"Why was Tamsin so upset?" The shattered silence had both pairs of eyes on me before I could look from between the two of them. In my heart, I was happy for her. She had discovered who her beloved was and even though he was technically human, the power he possesses will no doubt be in his favor for protecting her. Interestingly enough, I didn't understand how the bond between an assassin worked with anyone else, though it appeared that Kenzie and Killian somehow managed.

It helped that he stayed present for the most part as when he dematerialized, we could physically see the hurt that came over Kenzie. We all felt it, but no one as deeply as her. Her love for him must be incredibly strong to withstand that type of broken bond for the time being he was nowhere in sight.

My grandfather appeared thoughtful but remained silent except for the look he threw Killian's way. It was another few seconds of awkward silence before Killian breathed out slowly, "Tamsin was born human...though born with the assassin's gift. A human body cannot withstand the tear between planes, destroying the body in the process. She was getting really sick..."

"Wait..." my voice dwindled away, standing to my feet as I recalled a time when I was not allowed to see Tamsin. I'd known of her existence, a mask of many scents covering hers and she was never allowed to roam the halls of the coven. "Mother said, that it was safer for her to remain hidden and that I might get the chance to meet her...this is what you were hiding from everyone? You were afraid of what the coven would think having a child born human? And you had the fucking nerve to single me out for how different I was," I scoffed at Killian, turning to my grandfather for affirmation.

My grandfather sighed, "Your mother turned Tamsin. She tried to kill herself..."

Breathing in slowly, my heart skipped a beat.

"Tamsin was lucky enough to sustain the bite of a pureblood, turning her into the vampire she should have been born as," my grandfather finished, standing to his own feet. His thoughts were recollecting, walking toward the other end of the parlor.

"She wanted to die..." I was beginning to realize what was going on, "You never gave her a choice. She was in pain and you all took it upon yourselves to attempt to turn her. What if she'd rather have stayed human and tried to fight through the pain? What gives you the right to determine someone's fate?"

Killian was the one at my throat for the startling comment that I couldn't believe left my mouth. It was true, but it wouldn't have stopped them from doing what they thought was right. He walked toward me and hissed, "When you're a parent, you do everything you can to protect your child. She may not have had a choice, but I'm damn well sure she would rather live then die as a human who was barely older than two!"

"I'm sorry," I raised my hands, knowing I should have just kept my mouth shut. My grandfather's icy blue orbs peered at me from the corner, turning to the parlor doors.

"What about you Maverick?" He asked, the tables turned, and I hadn't even known it yet.

"What about me?" I asked, unsure as I stepped away from Killian, wanting now more than ever to find Eris.