Book 8⌇43. Volunteer

Chapter 43 ∣  Volunteer

-Maverick

The room in which we had brought our meeting to fell silent the second we all walked through those oak wood double doors. There were so many coven leaders that I hardly had any idea this many had survived until being brought to one location. Their expressions were filled with mixed emotions, concern lingering in the majority of them at my presence.

However, the few leaders that had joined at the mansion to witness the coronation were looking upon me with high expectations. I'm not sure which scrutinizing gaze I'd like to fall under at this moment in time.

My grandparents moved to the right side of the large table that ran down the middle of the room. The overflow of leaders was staggered behind those who were seated, three chairs left open at the head of the table. It would appear that most of them had considered that I may arrive, but not as King. That head chair was reserved for my father but now...it is where I would hold the weight of the world on my shoulders.

Settling myself into the head chair, my mother, and my father each sat on either side of me. Thankfully, I had them with me, their wisdom and guidance something I would not turn my nose up, pretending I know this world. I'd never traveled in a way like they had, extending their knowledge to countries and continents beyond the U.S. border. My travels were meant for my safety and to keep me alive while I ran for what seemed like forever.

One leader couldn't keep his silence any longer, noting with slight displeasure, "King Lucca, why is your son before us? Let alone sitting in your position?"

My father didn't speak, his eyes falling on mine in a sideways glance and I chuckled to myself, "I can see you don't like my presence...and if you can hardly imagine me as your King, I can only imagine what you must think of having a mortal as your Vampire Queen."

It wasn't just that particular leader that gasped, his face visibly reflecting the shock of many throughout the room. Murmurs and whispers broke out amongst them, my arms resting on the armrests of the chair while I allowed them to deliberate between each other. Some anger rose up while others appeared to be opened minded at the new turn of events.

One who was not happy in the slightest about my announcement quickly vocalized his displeasure, "A mortal?"

Another added in, "Was in not Locaine that had brought us through from the shadows to claim the world as ours rightfully and enslave those beneath of us...now one is expected to rule over us?"

My grandfather's icy blue eyes hardened at the mention of his past, knowing that it wasn't the way he thought presently. He was the one to answer with, "Indeed, I'm glad history is ingrained into your memories. However..." his eyes shifted to mine and it was time I admit exactly what everyone needs to know to move forward.

They won't trust me if I keep the truth hidden...

"My beloved was once a succubus, a sex demon granted to me by fate that I gladly accepted with open arms," the looks I received did not go unnoticed by others, disdain clearly written on their faces, "she was taken from me, killed by the deceased Alpha Hendrix. She was brought back...but as a mortal and now stands as your Queen with more life experience then most of you have been through aside from the history represented by all of us. This is my quarrel with the werewolves."

One of the leaders snorted with laughter, "It was because of you we are even in this situation, to begin with. You killed Luna Willow, the mate of Alpha Declan-"

He was cut off by a woman snarling, "-where you then decided to kill him as well...and that sparked the Alpha King's wrath upon us all."

"Your mistake has cost us the lives of our loved ones," another leader sitting a few seats down from my father slammed his fist against the table in anger, the old wood splintering under the strength, "each death is on your hands."