Book 8⌇52. Life Comes Through Death

Chapter 52 ∣  Life Comes Through Death

-Maverick

I'd never felt so helpless or broken in my entire life than when I was left staring at the closed door to the room that was being used to help deliver the child Eris was carrying. She'd gone into premature labor, forced to stay outside while my mother and grandmother were within the room helping Lena as best as the could. There was no time to call for any extra-human assistance or to get her to a human hospital. It was here that I was left waiting, glaring at the wooden door that separated the two of us from one another.

Keep her safe...

...just please keep her safe.

"It'll be alright," my father offered me some type of comfort that I couldn't find solace in. He placed a hand on my shoulder from behind, tightening his grip for a moment before letting go entirely.

My grandfather was hesitant, not having spoken a word since we'd rushed Eris away. He leaned quietly against the far wall directly behind me. They weren't the only two waiting...Erebus, Orion, Arlynn, Zak...they all sat by with a very quiet demeanor only speaking to each other in hushed tones or not spoken altogether, using their connection to communicate.

I could hear her heartbeat through the door blocking us...it was erratic, faint, only to speed up once more and slow down again. It was unpredictable and I didn't like not having control over what was happening. I had to stand back and allow others to assist where I could not.

One thought kept running through my mind...

...turn her.

Just attempt to turn Eris. She was suffering, the pain radiating through her body and I only hoped I could take away but the small thought that prevented me from rushing through those doors was...what if it didn't work?

I made a promise to her.

The doors burst open and my attention blindly shifted away from the door and landed on Lucette. Her eyes were frantically searching the room and found me in an instant. Rook wasn't far behind her, seeking Erebus while my sister ran toward me. It only took her a few strides before she threw her arms around my neck and pulled me close to her.

"Are you okay? What's happening?" Lucette asked with an edge to her voice, both of us pulling away from one another reluctantly as I needed someone to lean on for once in my life. When I lifted my gaze from hers, Rook had reached his father, whispering something into his ear that I didn't catch. A dark look crossed his face from what he had spoken but he said nothing, reverting his attention to Orion as the three of them looked off toward Lucette and me.

I nodded and replied, "She's stable right now," I paused a moment and exhaled a deep breath, "I just don't know how long this is supposed to take..."

Lucette's eyes were glassy, tears filling them in the next moment. When I asked her, "Lucette? Are you okay?" She didn't respond, almost as if her words were caught in her throat as she drew calming breaths. Nothing appeared to be working as she finally let the tears fall from her eyes.

"Hunny?" My father appeared to be distressed over the way Lucette had drastically changed her features. She shook her head and pulled out of my arms, stepping back away from our father and wrapping her arms around herself. Almost as if Rook knew something I didn't, he walked up behind her, holding her close to him as he also exhaled a rattled breath. His muscles tensed, burying his face into the crook of her neck.

"Lu-" my father was interrupted the second the doors opened for a second time, my gaze landing on a very pregnant Tamsin followed behind Micah. His eyes averted from everyone's, standing off to the side and to himself while Tamsin walked toward me slowly.