Book 8⌇28. Hopeless

Chapter 28 ∣  Hopeless

-Maverick

"Please...Maverick, please just wake up..."

I could hear her soft voice calling for me, begging me to open my eyes. Please, tell me Eris, just tell me. She sounded so distressed, her voice on the edge of cracking and sure enough, tears would follow. I hadn't heard her this way, only when she told me about her past that it broke her down so much that I'd heard her this close and ready to fall apart again.

"Don't trust me..." her voice continued to crack, her sobs breaking my heart. My body was drained, not ever having been put through her taking my energy like that before. She wouldn't stop and if I had a soul, I'm sure I would have been dead by now.

This isn't Eris.

This isn't my Eris.

This isn't the one I feel so hard for, trying to right every wrong in her past and protect her future. I don't know what happened to her, whatever happened with Rook bringing her back must have gone horribly wrong. I guess that's what happens when you mess around with things you shouldn't.

"Maverick...it's inside me, please get it out...please help me," I could feel her shaking me awake, my senses slowly returning to my body. I gained strength with each steady breath I took, trying hard to hold onto her voice and use it to bring myself back to the realm of consciousness.

"The demon Maverick...don't let i-"

Silence.

Eris?

I want to speak to her, trying to find my own voice it seems like it has been locked away. I close my eyelids harder, hoping that when I try to open them, they will see her face and that this has all just been a nightmare.

Eris?

Again, I try, but nothing. I could feel it now though, this time I felt my muscles tensing and relaxing, gaining my control again.

"Eris?" This time, I heard my own voice and I forced my eyelids open. Even though I was laying on my back in the dark room, it was brighter than sleeping. I winced at the sudden intrusion of the lighting from the space around me, glancing around through the blurry fog in front of my eyes before seeing a body sitting next to me.

Slowly, I managed to get onto my elbows, lifting myself up until I was finally sitting straight up. When I turned to my side, Eris was sitting on her knees, staring directly at me without saying a single word. She had this vacant and void expression on her face, something eerie about her just put me right off.

"Eris, are you okay?" I asked her, but she didn't flinch. Instead, I reached my hand out, touching her shoulder. I hoped for some type of reaction, trying to let my thoughts flow through me without any interruption. That's when I remembered it all.

She broke our one-sided bond.

Confusion and anger rippled through my body, furrowing my brows when I asked, "Why did you do that? How did you do that?"

Eris tilted her head to the side, almost like a mechanical motion. There was some light behind her translucent green irises, her voice even as she replied, "Why did I take my soul back? Because I can. It's not yours," my hand fell away from her shoulder, taken aback by her remark, but she didn't stop, instead she continued, "How did I do it? Simple. I used my innate ability to do so."

"But how?" She was returning to her normal self, before being killed...but...not at the same time. She never acted this way, instead, she was acting as though scorned by the entire world around her. It was dark and it made me uneasy as to what her intentions are.