Book 8⌇19. Departure

Chapter 19 ∣  Departure

-Maverick

"Mom?" My mother walked right past me while Eris and I approached the double doors to the coven's entrance, her arms sliding easily into her ebony trench coat. Eris held a takeout pizza box from what was leftover from our dinner in her left hand, while her other held the dark bag from the sex shop.

She didn't say a single word, her boots echoing off the ground as she strode further away, my father barely having caught up with her, standing in the entrance to the mansion. "Evie stop! You can't do it alone..." his voice was mixed with anger and pain.

What's going on?

My mother simply turned on her heels for a moment, her whitish-blue eyes boring right into his as she winked and stated, "I've heard that before. The last time I checked, I've done the impossible by killing those much stronger than I." She outstretched her arms, as though ready to take on the world.

"You had blood magic th-"

"Lucca, you can't stop me," my mother's voice was clear, Eris edging closer to me as she saw the two of them narrowing eyes with one another.

"Dad, what's going on?" I asked, my mother, turning away once again, fear settling in the pit of my stomach. My father's eyes glanced my way and from what I could tell, there was nothing he really could do. He couldn't chase after her, he's the King and with this war, he'd be an easy target out in the open. Who would lead the vampires then?

Before he could get a word in edgewise, Killian moved past my father, his green eyes holding my own hazel blue ones before continuing to my mother's side. Her long white hair was blowing gently around her slender form, glancing to her left for a moment when Killian came to a halt.

"I'll watch over her," he sighed, seeing the tension in my father's shoulders ease at Killian's words.

"Just like old times," she smiled.

"Now it is," Zak came around the mansion's right side, with him the twin rangers Clover and Ryker. Their weapons and clothes represented that this was not just a scouting mission.

What is my mother thinking?! She's the Queen and if any of those wolves notice and recognize her...

"Zak, you might not like where we're go-"

Zak held up his hand, shaking his head, "I know. If it comes down to it...I'll end his life...besides, no one stands a chance against Ryker and Clover."

"Will someone stop, and fucking explain what is going on?!" I growled loudly, everyone's eyes shooting in my direction, Eris moving closer to my side and hiding away from view.

No one said anything.

"Damn it!" Frustration was gripping me hard, making me even angrier that I was being kept in the dark and about all I could gather, was they possibly might run into Rainier. But that meant...

"Watch your tone with me, young man," my mother shot me that dark glare of hers and my skin instantly broke out in goosebumps. She tilted her head to the side, debating whether she was going to tell me anything.

"You found Hendrix's pack, didn't you?" I asked.

My mother shook her head, "Possibly, but I doubt it's him."

"I'll come w-"

Eris elbowed me in the ribs, my eyes falling away and locking with her translucent green orbs. She glared at me and huffed, "No you aren't..."

"She's right Mav," my mother nodded in agreement with Eris, "You're staying put."

"I'm not a child," I argued back.