Book 8⌇34. One Last Stop

Chapter 34 ∣  One Last Stop

-Evicka

"Thank you, Kane," I acknowledge one of the many coven leaders Kenzie and I had been informing as we made our way across the country. They were all given the orders to kill any werewolves on sight. If we couldn't get the name of their Alpha King, maybe causing enough deaths would draw out his presence.

This could prove as a stupid idea though...if our own numbers weren't strong enough to end the lives of many who would come before this one wolf. Part of me was wondering what Rainier would do now as he obviously would have felt his mate's death.

Would he seek us out on his own vindictive vendetta to kill the one who took Hendrix's life? He may not get the chance as things with Eris were only getting worse.

I used to hold so much hope for this world, but I now see there's no possible way for our species to get along with anyone. The humans will always fear us, for taking and plaguing their world and the werewolves...now they had every right to resent us for killing one of their own without just cause.

I never wanted this bloodshed...after the deaths of the coven leaders, I thought the world could move forward in peace. But it can't.

It never will.

I just have to accept what we are seen as...

"If I may ask," Kane brought me from my thought, my eyes lifting to meet his deep blue ones, "why now?"

Kenzie shifted in her seat, her own uneasiness clearly reflecting my own. I took a deep breath before I exhaled and said, "We had a lead. We had captured Alpha Hendrix, but..."

I couldn't say it...I just couldn't. If anyone else knew the issues with the demon we were facing, our own judgment might be jeopardized by the views of others.

"-he wouldn't tell us where the Alpha King was," Kenzie spoke up, Kane's eyes traveling to her, "so, we are done playing games and King Lucca decided it was time to strike fear into their hearts. None of them are safe."

Thank you, Kenzie.

She turned to me and waited for me to agree with her. I did, reassuring Kane, "Those are the orders. We tried playing nice and just asking for their King to come forward to settle this. Clearly, he likes to play games, so let's see how much he likes to lose the lives of his own kind."

This world is going to turn into a bloody war...Evie, what's going to happen to the innocent?

Unfortunately...the humans will be caught up in it and hopefully, they'll hide like they once did long ago.

"Well then," Kane lifted from his chair, Kenzie and me rising as well, "it seems...things are about to get rather interesting."

We walked with Kane and as we approached the entryway, the double doors in sight, I noted to him, "If the Alpha King reveals himself," I turned on my heels, Kenzie opening the door and allowing the cool night air to seep into the mansion, "get the word out immediately."

This had been a request to everyone that we came across. Yes, phones would have been more convenient, but we weren't sure who would be listening in and possibly jeopardized why we were going to become actively aggressive in the first place. Letters could easily be intercepted, so that's why Lucca thought it best to have the word spread personally, so there were no questions about his command.

From royalty.

Kane nodded and replied, "Of course, Queen Evicka."

Kenzie and I said our goodbyes and headed off once again on the pathway to the next coven. It was early into the night when we had stopped by Kane's residence, our run turning into more of a walk. We stayed on the roads, for the most part, only cutting across country and into the forest regions when there was no other choice. We each carried twin swords at our hips, two guns on either side of our thighs, ready for whatever challenge came across our path.