Book 8⌇17. Dangerous and Carefree

Chapter 17 ∣  Dangerous and Carefree

-Maverick

"I want to go shopping in town," Eris had her arms folded in front of her chest, sitting with one leg crossed over the other in the living room across from the parlor. I eyed my grandfather, who happened to be sitting in a chair to the side of the couch she sat on. Eris' translucent pale green eyes shot my direction, "I want to go out. I'm tired of sitting in this mansion as the world passes by outside."

My grandfather's icy blue eyes just glanced from her and then to me, raising his eyebrows as he let out a sigh.

"Eris, there are many dangers out there, mostly in regard to the war with the werewolves-"

"Maverick...I don't care, I can't just sit in here like you all do, defending everything here while others are living their lives," Eris' temper flared, her ebony hair falling over both of her shoulders.

My grandfather tried to assist by stating, "It'll be over eventually, we're tracking down this mysterious Alpha King whom no one appears to know his location. All the wolves we managed to capture instead of kill, refuse to give...stubborn and loyal their kind."

"I understand that," Eris rose from the couch, "Yes, it'll eventually end one way or another, but I don't have forever to live my life. I don't want to spend the majority of it within these walls being 'protected'. So what? Maverick, you're what everyone fears. Would they really try to attack you, or those who knew me would they seriously think I am alive?"

I breathed in deeply, thinking this over and exhaled slowly. She's mortal now and knows she doesn't have forever...

It was clear I was frustrated, but Eris smiled when I told her, "Fine, we'll go into town if that will make you happy."

"No, that won't make me happy," she scrunched up her nose and replied, "not having your lips all over Arlynn's shoulder would make me incredibly happy, but I can't expect you to change your ways."

Eris walked right past me, nearing the front door, and reaching for a black hoodie. She'd changed into light blue jeans and the long-sleeved red shirt quickly was hidden when she pulled the hoodie over her head and straightened her clothing out.

"You let her-"

"Don't start with me," my grandfather shook his head, "that one over there is far more sarcastic and defiant than any slave I ever had in the past...I'm not going to stand in her way or I might hurt her on accident. She knows how to...push buttons and quickly adapts to those around her. I have no idea how you put up with her, to be honest..."

"Note the one over here that can hear every word you are saying about said person," when I turned around, she had her right hand placed on her hip firmly, having slipped into black boots. Her hair flowed out around the hoodie, almost blending in with the color of the fabric.

My grandfather rose from his chair, walking past me and coming within a foot from Eris. She flinched for a second when he took another step toward her, but she held her ground firmly and even glared up into his eyes, locking her fired up ones with his. "And now you know what I think of you. Try to be a good little human and not get yourself killed," my grandfather patted her on the head, and she fumed.

"I can take care of myself," she growled at him, pushing his hand away and moving closer to the front door. She took the handle into her hand and darted outside, the wind catching the door and blowing it slightly ajar with the breeze.

My grandfather chuckled and said to me, "She may be a pain, but she's got a good heart. Someone that headstrong is a perfect match for you," he nodded to me as I let out an exasperated sigh. Walking toward the door, I grabbed my leather trench coat from the hook and made a move toward the open door. My grandfather, however, placed a strong hand on my left shoulder, forcing me to stop my actions.