Book 8⌇11. Misconstrued

Chapter 11 ∣  Misconstrued

*Crossover*

The Omen's Key

(The Blood Magic Series)

The Omen's Key can be found on the account: @DarkR0se5 

-Maverick

Watching the terribly upset human leave the room, I could tell by the look on her face, that she knew nothing of what this demon had been keeping a secret. It wasn't right. It wasn't fair and I'm sure she felt completely used. It's obvious, that he does care for her, but he shouldn't be using her...at least, without telling her the true meaning behind his actions.

The rest of the conversation fell on deaf ears, standing to my feet and heading out of the parlor, closing the doors silently behind me. Making my way to the front door, I breathed in slowly, still not quite used to the idea of the sun touching my skin without being burnt to a crisp.

To think, all these years, if I had just 'accidentally' had any part of my body touch the light, I would have known what my blood could do.

Taking the front door handle into my hand and pulling it back in, making sure no one else was near in case any stray beams of light decided to cascade into the room and burn them. Thankfully, everyone was either in the meeting or had already retired for the daybreak on the horizon. Stepping out into the light, the light orange and yellow hues stretched across the sky, closing the door lazily behind me.

I breathed in deeply, the warmth touching my face and making me smile.

To think, I'm the first vampire to ever experience this feeling.

Cayden was leaning against the stone railing, her eyes also glued to the rising sun, bringing with it a new day with endless possibilities.

She hadn't noticed me. Walking out toward where she stood, I came up beside her, my forearms touching the stone beneath my coat.

Cayden jumped and her eyes widened in shock, "How-"

"There's a lot you don't know about me, this is the least of your concern," I replied, seeing her disposition change as she frowned. The wind blew gently, her hair catching in its breeze. I wondered what she thought of being in a vampire coven, considering it appeared that these humans with special powers spent their lives killing demons...us included.

"What's going on?" I asked, her attention still fixated on something far off in the distance. "Why'd you leave?" I pressed, wondering exactly what was eating at her.

Cayden was trying to ignore me. I'd never had a problem speaking with women before, yet she continued to ignore everything I was asking. Strange and oddly enough, she retorted, "Why do you care?"

Well then, if she wants to play it that way, we can go down this path.

I shrugged and sighed, "You're right, I don't care," her eyes immediately darted to me, her sideways glance not going unnoticed, "But, do you want to tell me anyway?" I finished, intriguing her just enough to fully turn her face toward me.

"You wouldn't understand..." her voice trailed off, pained by whatever memory lingered within her mind, keeping her grounded in a moment bound by time.

That word she had once spoken, I think I found the trigger and narrowed my eyes at her, "You know, you're not the only one who's been called a monster before."

Cayden rolled her eyes, "Well, you're a vampire, so obviously..."

"You weren't blamed for something you had no control over," my mind shot back to the memories of my childhood, the one action I had no control over led to many that I could have stopped...if only I had been stronger. What did they expect from a child?