Book 8⌇41. A Mortal Vampire Queen

Chapter 41 ∣  A Mortal Vampire Queen

-Eris

I don't let what I did that was nowhere in my control define who I am.

It had been a few weeks, slowly returning to normality within an unusual world. Once Maverick had brought me before his father and explained exactly what Hendrix told me, there was no anger or ill will begrudging the past mistakes that weren't mine to decide upon in the first place.

Ryker however, his anger was still present, but he didn't take anything further out on me. It was a mess, to begin with and it brought me to tears once again when I told him that his sister's soul was cast into oblivion due to the demon being drawn from me and killed. The souls had been harboring within my vessel for the succubus, though the second we were separated, those souls transferred to her corporal form.

He was much quieter around me, maybe he was afraid that something might happen again and that I wasn't completely to be trusted. I can't blame him, it's hard for me to even trust myself. However, when I do greet him, it isn't awkward. Ryker would give me a nod with a slight smile and a friendly hello before he went about his business with Zak.

Zak was kind and appeared to be always near me for the most part when Maverick wasn't around. I think it's safe to say that he is now my full-time bodyguard for when my beloved can't be near me. Zak even started to show me a few basic fighting techniques for self-defense. I'm thankful for how patient he is with my recovery, learning to trust others is growing easier, but it still takes time.

Evicka and Annika were by far the most caring individuals around me. Even Locaine had been acting...nice? I don't know if that's even possible for him, but he wasn't so quick to make snappy remarks about me being human anymore. In fact, none of Lucca's coven said anything in regard to me being human, almost like they were afraid if they said anything either something else might happen again or they'd have their asses handed to them by Maverick.

Needless to say, it was an eventful two weeks as Maverick's coronation was approaching, Lucca about to step down as not only King, but also the coven leader. It would be his son, the once rogue vampire prince, to step up and take on his birthright. Considering this war was sparked because of one mistake Maverick made...leading to another just to save my life...he had the entire vampire population behind him, including the scarce number of hunters that still believed that the vampires should rule.

I, however...

...couldn't believe I had been lingering in front of the floor-length mirror for the past ten minutes admiring the emerald green dress that fit like a glove as it fell just above my toes in silver heels. The way my hair had been done up, the braids and curled stray hairs, made me look like a real princess. Everything made my irises pop, the color complementing the dress.

A knock came from the door and I said softly, "Come in."

The door was opened inward, Maverick's hazel blue eyes capturing my own in the mirror's reflection made me smile gently. The door closed silently behind him, a low whistle making its way through the room as his voice trailed off, "Look how stunning you are."

While he crossed the marble flooring, I admired his own well-tailored suit, probably one of the only ones I'd ever seen him wear, I replied, "You don't clean up too bad yourself."

His breath tickled the back of my neck, his lips planting a gentle kiss on the top of my bare shoulder. I could hear him inhale my scent, his arms wrapping around from behind me and holding my waist. My own hands overlaid on top of his turning my head to the side just as he planted another kiss against my cheek. He had me smiling instantly again, my heart pounding hard in my chest as I let out a relaxed sigh.