Book 8⌇35. They're Coming

Chapter 35 ∣  They're Coming

-Eris

Is it entirely wrong of me to want to just completely give up?

It wasn't even my choice to be brought back to life and now I can see the horrible consequences of playing around with fate. My vampire has a soulmate that he can't ever truly have, even if this demon were to somehow be purged from my body, I'd still just be a void human, an empty shell of what I once was. Someone that he couldn't claim any longer without the risk of killing me in the process.

I'm not me.

I'll never be me.

I rubbed my arms, the coolness of the dungeon causing goosebumps to break out across my skin. They had removed Hendrix's body...each time I wanted to help simply by revealing what he told me about who the Alpha King is, the demon restrains me from doing so. She doesn't want to help them in the slightest because I know if we were to be freed, she'd kill them all for confining her.

I brought one of my hands to my neck and remembered at least Harlan was kind enough to give me this and force the innate assassin's ability to remain hidden. I wondered often if the necromancer really would come back as after invading my mind and having someone else feel exactly what I've been through, maybe he'd take pity and not make me suffer this long.

Either way...

I laid my arm against the top my thigh, the soft inner part of my forearm faces up while I leaned down and removed the old rusty wire I'd found while examining my cell days ago. Apparently, the demon can't pick a lock, and neither can I without her electricity. So, I kept it hidden...mostly for me and for what I'm about to do now...

I gripped the wire with my free hand and brought it closer to my inner arm.

I just want this nightmare to end...I'm tired.

I'm done fighting for nothing.

When the wire was about to contact my skin, I felt my muscles constrict, my body no longer my own to control. What the demon couldn't control? The tears that came to my eyes and spilled right over, running down my cheeks and beading off my chin.

Exactly what the hell do you think you're doing?

I'm done.

I'm not.

I can't do this anymore...please...

You don't have to. Just let go and it will all be over.

She wants my soul completely for her. If I give her what she wants, then she'll have complete control and I'll never have it ever again. She'll be able to ignite her own demonic strength with the soul of her vessel and more than likely...she'll kill every last being in this mansion.

I'm just...so...tired.

The tears continued to cascade down my cheeks while my heart sped up in my chest. Everything must come to an end and how I saw it, this was my end. I'm toxic to Maverick, forcing him to make choices he shouldn't have to. None of this would have happened if I'd just remained dead as trying to trick and escape death only brings about worse circumstances.

If I'm gone, they won't hesitate to kill the demon.

It's better that way.

No second-guessing or wondering if I'll be saved.

I finally released a very shaky breath, "You win."

It was a very soothing feeling, the moment I felt the final seduction taking over my body, tricking me into letting go and a false sense of security. The warmth spread through my body instead of just up to the base of my skull. It continued to work its way through every fiber of my being until I felt my heart warm and the tears stopped flowing.