Book 8⌇37. A Daughter's Loss

Chapter 37 ∣  A Daughter's Loss

*Crossover*

The Omen's Key

(The Blood Magic Series)

The Omen's Key can be found on the account: @DarkR0se5

-Tamsin

It had been the longest hour of my life. Evie and my dad had immediately helped move Micah to the parlor, away from all the devastation that was now being cleaned up after the fight between Eris and him.

It was incredibly quiet between us all. Micah's head rested in my lap, while Evie and my father sat respectively across from us, my dad in a chair while Evie rested her back against the black leather couch. They said nothing, my worry continuing to grow as each time I brought up my mom, both of them would divert the topic to something else...more so toward Micah and what just happened.

Micah was slipping in and out of consciousness, kind of like his body was here, but his mind was much further away. If he really is awake and I don't know it, then he's exhausted beyond all recognition and I'm not the only one is who's waiting for answers.

Each time I spoke to my dad, he wouldn't respond to me and that feeling of dread I had earlier began to slowly set in. Finally, I spoke calmly and directed my question to Evie, "Where is my mom?"

She wasn't as hard set as my dad with her response, but my muscles tensed the moment she stated, "I think it best we wait until your beloved has regained consciousness."

Before she could get the last word out of her sentence, I questioned quite quickly, "Why?"

My dad was the one to cut in when Evie parted her lips to speak and said with a hint of pain to his voice, "Just be patient..." my eyes lifted from Micah's face and I caught my father's emerald eyes, wanting him to just be open and honest with me. There was an agonized look that was hard for him to hide from me, but he turned away the moment our gaze locked.

Absentmindedly, I ran my fingers through Micah's thick black hair, my eyes slowly falling away from my dad and landing on his features. I don't want to assume anything...because after being away so long from my family and this coven, I'm disconnected. Even though my father is but a few feet away from me, I don't feel our blood tie connection any longer. If I remained here, I knew it would slowly slip back as blood is thicker than water, time and space can only alter it for so long before it's rejuvenated.

Lost in my thoughts, Micah's eyelids blinked open and I was hardly prepared to see what lay beneath of them. The entirety of his eyes was a solid black; however, the irises remained his strikingly beautiful gray reflecting in the center of the abyssal darkness.

Evie, my dad, and I were completely unsure if he really were awake this time as he'd been drifting in and out for the better part of the hour. I held my breath in, my hand having halted guiding my fingers through the strands of his hair as I asked cautiously, "Micah?"

My dad asked with the same curiosity, "What's wrong with him?"

My heart clenched tightly in my chest, my limbs feeling like they weighed much heavier than they should. Micah parted his lips but then quickly clenched his jaw. It was like he was frozen, remaining that way for a few seconds before his eyelids shut tight together. For a few moments, it felt like breathing would disturb him, but a wave of relief washed over me the second his eyelids opened once again and with that, they had returned to normal.