Book 8⌇15. My Secret

Chapter 15 ∣  My Secret

-Maverick

"Wait, you're not going to keep me locked up in that mansion?" Eris' head swiveled, confused when I brought her out onto the front stairs up to the large mansion. Her almost translucent green eyes darting back to mine as she gasped, "You're not such a heathen after all!"

"Who knew...it'd just take getting you out of there and for some fresh air to stir up that lovely sense of humor," I watched her roll her eyes, pulling her ebony hair back behind her exposed shoulders. I couldn't help but be drawn to the beautiful, off the shoulder green V-neck long-sleeved shirt she was wearing, the light blue jeans cladding her legs and her feet strapped into black boots.

She folded her arms in front of her chest and whispered, "If we stay out long enough, will you get nice and crispy in the sun when it rises? That'll make the perfect end to this date..."

"Sweetheart, you really haven't changed..." I sighed, watching her features shift in confusion, but I knew she was slowly falling into who she once was. Her personality was one I'd missed very much, the light in her eyes and the fire that came with it, was overwhelming. I'd deeply missed my little vixen and now she was giving us a chance...we'd just have to see where this went.

After all, I wasn't too keen on taking her out...

The dangers that presented themselves, just put my senses on high alert, but if I wanted to win her over better, this was a good start. She wanted to go out on a date, and I knew just setting up some kind of dinner at home wouldn't really count. Deep down, I knew she was testing me, trying to see exactly the love we once had.

What we could have again.

She'd just have to trust in me once again.

"Aren't you cute," she pointed to the bag I had slung over my shoulder, "At least it isn't an old fashion picnic basket."

"Who says you get anything to eat?" I gasped, holding the bag tighter to my side, "Selfish human, did you want to take my lunch money too?"

"Well..." she placed a finger to her chin, tilting her head to the sky and pondering that thought.

Her eyes, the moon reflecting off them, the stars that shown overhead, they lit up her skin with a soft glow. I didn't want to look away, afraid she'd disappear again and this time, I wouldn't be able to bring her back.

"Wow, you're actually thinking of robbing me," I watched her eyes travel back to mine and her lips forming into a grin.

Instead, she shook her head and asked, "Where might I ask are we going for this oh so wonderful date that you've probably been planning for months to impress me with," she looked around, no cars would be found anywhere near the coven.

Her sarcasm didn't go unnoticed, my own response stating, "Then you shall be amazed!"

"Right," she giggled. "No, but seriously, where are we going? How are we going to get there?"

Instead of lying to her or putting up walls to keep her out, I simply turned to her. She tilted her head to the side, her eyes peering at me with confusion. "Eris, there was a time when I had a secret, I wanted to share with you. I wanted to do this because I loved and trusted you-"

"Then what stopped you?" She arched a brow.

"That asshole leech incubus Keegan," I retorted, the mere thought of him stealing away Eris to satisfy his own sadistic pleasures made me angry. I'd never thought I'd go to Hell and back again for this woman, but she proved to be much stronger than I thought emotionally. We'd both been through a lot, lies and deceit surrounding us until we finally had the lid blow off the top and everything got out of control.