Book 8⌇26. Back to Hell

Chapter 26  ∣  Back to Hell

-Eris

Why?! Why would you do that?

I was practically screaming at the demonic being within me while I finished getting dressed, adjusting the same clothes I'd been wearing before Maverick had stripped me of them.

How else are we going to crossover to the Dominion Plane?

Just...I can't...what you jus-

I told you before, I no longer give my soul freely. Your mate deserves this after everything he's done. His happiness means absolutely nothing to me, only revenge. You're blinded by the illusion that you two could ever share a future together.

Her words made me cold and numb, and just as she had promised, my subconscious was completely disconnected from the demonic side while Maverick had sex with me. It was the worst feeling I'd felt so far, having my vampire so close, loving me, and I couldn't even feel just the touch of his lips on mine.

He thinks I'm becoming who I once was, just because he sees some form of the demon, doesn't mean it's me. It doesn't mean I'm voluntarily being involved in any way. I felt empty and lost, not able to decipher who I actually was anymore. This battle was hardly one I was winning anymore, one that just seemed so easy to give up, especially knowing Maverick couldn't see the difference.

What's happening?

My fear rose, feeling my body becoming even more not my own, each second passing making me feel as though I were lifting away from this world. The problem was, I really was leaving...

It was more of a sudden force of pressure around my entire body that felt like I was fading away. I was, only this time it wasn't my mind, it was my body. Inside, I felt like collapsing, though the demon held onto me, continuing to keep me upright and strong.

Glancing around, every memory came flooding back. But, it wasn't just the memories of when I'd been brought back to this place. No, they were memories from when I was a child, the ones of my parents attempting to assassinate King Bram and failing...the ones of Harlan stopping me from running away and ensuring I was captured.

I guess I could be thankful for one thing, that Kalyn wanted to keep me instead of killing me. But, if he'd just killed me, then I wouldn't be going through all of this shit and feeling completely powerless again.

What do you say we take Harlan up on that offer?

Haven't you already fucked around with one man's head today...do you really need to do it to another?

You're no fun, really.

Your idea of fun is sadistic. You want them all dead. Think about it this way, why attack someone who doesn't even know you exist anymore? Why not just live your life...

You'll never understand now because you are human, but I crave revenge and I won't stop until they're all dead.

Revenge solves nothing.

Let's find out. Oh, and just for you, I'll just kill them all instead of seducing them. Does that make you feel better?

I couldn't respond. The way this creature had no remorse for anything she did, killing Clover and hiding her where no one would find her, I couldn't imagine how far she was willing to go to get what she wanted.

I could feel the heat from the ground through the soles of my boots. My feet left the ground, wings extending out and beating against the warm air. The brilliant sun with the rusty orange sky hung low today, but I felt a sense of home in this place, despite how everything turned out. I flew high in the sky, my eyes glancing down below to the cities. Demons wandering around going about their lives, but what surprised me was the sense of peace that covered this land in a blanket I hardly recognized.