Chapter 10

"Oakley! Oakley! Wake up!" I turn towards the voice, groggily I groan.

"Leave me alone Chris, I'm sleeping." I mumble out, turning back trying to go back to sleep.

"Oakley, we messed up! Look at the time! They are going to kill us!" After he said, all the memories came rushing back to me. I jolt up and look at our surroundings, the raggedy old carpet, a very old chair with one leg being a stick. Where in our secret hideout. I look at Chris to see his panicked face.

"What time is it?" I ask nervously.

"It's ten in the morning, we fell asleep here last night." My eyes widen and I now know that we are screwed. They are going to kill us. I jump up to my feet, panicking to get our things and rush home, hoping, no praying that maybe they didn't realize that we never made it home last night. I look over to my little brother. His strawberry blonde hair all messed up, his hazel eyes staring right up at me completely filled with fear.

"Hey Bub, don't worry, I'll take care of it. Don't be scared, I'm here for you, I'll always be here to protect you." I crouch down to his level.

"As long as I'm here, I won't let anything bad happen to you, okay?" I reassure him.

"Promise?" I give him a smile while brushing out his hair.

"Promise."  

I opened my eyes so fast, I couldn't figure out where I was for a second. I sit up and look around to see I'm in my room. I look to my left to see Jennifer sleeping soundly. I slowly make my way out of bed and towards the balcony, I open the door to be engulfed in a cold night. I go back to grab a sweater and return. I close the door behind me so that the cold doesn't wake Jennifer up. I sit down on the small couch and look out to the woods.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry that I broke my promise to you. I wish I could go back and do something, anything to have saved you." I say kind of hoping that Chris could hear me from where ever he's at right now. 

"Chris, I'm so sorry, I miss you so much, there's not a day that I'm not thinking about you. I need you, I'm scared, I don't know what to do. I may have found something but I'm may be losing that as well. All because of them, because they ruined our lives, they viciously took your away too early and they are destroying any chance of me being happy." I confess to the black night sky, I feel foolish doing this, but its the only way to feel like I'm talking to him, anything to make me feel closer to him.

"I don't know what to do, I can't just run away this time, He's my mate and he may actually want me. Well, probably not after he finds out, I thought that maybe I could get through trying to be a new person, a new identity, but they won't even let me do that." At this point, I can feel warms tears rolling down my cheeks, I don't even have the energy to wipe them away.

"I know I promised you that I'd never let anything happen to you, but I broke that promise. I promised you that I will never be happy but I might break  that promise too, but I can't help it, part of me still wants to be happy, to live on for you, to live the dream that we both imagined. But why do I deserve to be happy when you never got to start your life." I can feel the tears streaming down my face at a fast pace. I hear a door open and look towards the balcony next to me on the left. A head pops out and I go to wipe my face as fast as possible.

"Julie?" Jax whispers through the silence. I don't answer him, I can barely look at him, I'm too ashamed. I keep my head while I hear Jax jump from his balcony to mine. He walks right up to me and kneels in front of me. 

"Why are you out here, it's way to cold for you to be out here." I chuckle at his words once I see his attire.

"Says the guy who's out here in nothing but a pair of sweats." I try to lighten the mood. I hear a small laugh come from him.