Chapter 17

I look down at the body in front of me. Laying on a cold metal table, I look over the body to see the same marks as the first wolf. I lift my hand up and trace one of the holes on the wolf's body. After Jax and I got over our argument, I told him I wanted to be by myself. But laying in bed wasn't helping when all I can do is think about the fact that my parents are killing innocent wolves in my name. So I snuck out and went straight for the morgue to see the latest victim. I turn away from the dead wolf, looking at the piece of bloody paper.

'Everyday you're with them, a wolf will die.'

My parents know exactly what buttons to press to rile me up. Frustrated because they are putting the blame on me for these killings, I crumbled up the note and bang my fist on the table. I never wanted revenge but this, I turn back to the dead wolf, is something I can't ignore.

"I'm sorry for getting you killed." I tell the body, getting angrier by the second, I make the decision to help Jax, to take down my parents for good.

"I'll do everything I can to make sure no more wolves die because of them. No more suffering for you guys." I promise the dead wolf, wiping the angry tears from my face. I storm out the morgue and make my way to Jax's office determined to find a way to stop my parents for good, even if that means killing them. I walk the hallways of the pack house, speeding to his office. I walk past the kitchen but stop when I hear a sound. I turn back to the kitchen and go in, seeing a figure leaning over the island. 

"Fuck!" The voice breathes out, banging on the surface of the island. Through the darkness, I stop and watch as the man gets angrier by the second, throwing a plate at the wall. When the man stands up straight I notice exactly who it is.

"Cade?" I ask confused. He looks right at me, his eyes red and puffy. His body shaking and his breathe ragged. I notice his hands covered in bloody bandages and his shirt also covered in blood.

"Oakley?" Cade whispers through the dark. Cautiously, I walk towards him. The closer I get to him, the more noticeable he gets, my eyes widen in shock.

"Are you okay?" I walk right up to him. He looks down at me, practically towering over me. I look up at him, getting a clear picture of his face. His muddy brown eyes covered in a thin layer of unshed tears. His cheeks and forehead covered in bloody spots and his hair drenched in sweat, falling down his face dripping droplets of sweat and blood. I reach my hand up to wipe his face when he grabs my hand stopping it before I can touch him.

"Don't touch me." He seethes. I stay frozen, not being able to look away.

"He was my uncle." It takes me a second before I realize what he's talking about.

"The wolf that died today?" He drops my hand, going to punch a cupboard on the side of us.

"My parents died when I young, I was abandoned by the same people who promised my parents they would look after me. But not him, he took me in and raised me here in his pack. He ruined all his ties to his family for me." He growls out. Still frozen in my spot, not knowing what to do or say. Knowing all to well that I'm responsible for his uncle's death.

"I just don't understand. He was a good person, so why was he targeted for this stupid rouge rebellion. He wanted nothing to do with this fight." He continues. The more he talks about this, the worse I feel.

"I'm sorry for your loss Cade." Even though I didn't kill him, I feel like I was the one who had the knife, who turned him into one of those monsters.

"He was all I had left." He starts to break down. Hearing him say that makes me understand him him a little more.

"But what about the pack?" I ask. He laughs.

"I wasn't born in this pack, the only reason I'm third in command was because my uncle was third in command before our generation. I don't have any family here, not anymore." He cries out, mumbling the last part. I finally recollect myself and turn him towards me. 

"Look Cade, you may not have family that's blood. But you have family here. I mean Jax and Zane love and care about you. They are your family." I try to get him to see that but he doesn't budge.

"Maybe, but it's not the same when my whole family is dead." He looks away from me.

"I know how you feel, having the one person you love die. But Cade you still have people here who care about you." I try to reassure him.

"I'm going to kill them!" He proclaims. I flinch at his sudden outburst. I look at the clock to see that it's three in the morning.

"Get in line." I blurt out. He turns my way.

"I will kill them. I'll be the one who ends their life." He states getting angrier by the second.

"Cade, calm down. It's too early for this, you need to rest. You need to clean yourself up." I try to calm him down, knowing all too well that this isn't healthy.

"You need to get all this blood off of you. Who's blood is this?" I ask touching his arm with blood on it, the blood being warm and runny, it's fresh.

"It's deer blood. When I found out, I ran in the woods and punched the first thing I saw, which happened to be a deer." I wipe the blood on his shirt a bit relieved of his answer. I turn towards the staircase wanting to go to Jax's office to start researching. I look back at Cade getting an idea to distract him.

"You want revenge right?" I ask him, he nods.

"Okay, go clean up and meet me in Jax's office in thirty minutes." I instruct him.

"Why?" He asks confused.

"That's where I was headed. I was in the morgue, looking at uh.." I pause now knowing who the dead wolf was, he waits for me to continue.

"I'm going to his office to start looking for a way to fight back. Do you want to help or not?" Finally hearing something that pleases him, he calms down.

"Okay, thirty minutes." He says and leaves the kitchen. Alone in this kitchen I think about just how much this is affecting this the pack. I want to run away and stop being a burden to Jax and his pack. But I know that I can't, I need to stop running and stand my ground, I need to stop being afraid. I run out the kitchen with a new determination. I run up the stairs, down the hall and stop right in front of the door I wanted.

Jax's room.

I barge in, looking around the room for him. His bed empty, I look to my left to see him passed out on his desk. I walk up to him, I kneel down next to him. Looking at him, peacefully sleeping. I reach out to trace his facial features, realizing just how perfect he is. My finger stops at his mouth, imagining just how amazing it would feel to have his mouth on mine. Coming back to reality, I put my hand on Jax's shoulder starting to shake him awake.  

"Jax." I say, he shifts positions trying to shrug me off.

"Jax, wake up!" I try again. This time he sits up, completely out of it. He rubs his eyes, he looks around until he lands on me, visibly relaxing.

"Oakley? What's wrong? Why are you up at three in the morning?" He asks groggily, looking at the clock on his desk. I decide to get straight to the point.

"Put on a shirt and come with me." I demand. I get up and grab the shirt on his bed and throw it to him.

"Oakley what's this about?" He asks while putting on the shirt. I grab his hand and lead him out of his room, ignoring his protests. I stop in front of his office and turn to him. I open his door to see Cade already inside sitting down on one of the chairs with his nose in papers and maps.

"What the?" I drag him in and step in front of Jax to face him.

"I'll help you, I'll help take down my parents." I announce to him, I give him a smile and squeeze his hand lightly. He smiles back.

*********

Hey another update,  it's a bit short but I wanted to update something. Ill try to get to the next chapter as soon as I can.

See you next chapter

~Bri