Chapter 22

"Wow." Was all Cade could say when I open the door, taking in all of our appearances. I hear the girls snicker a little I the background.

"Cade?" I ask, surprised that he's at our door. He looks back to me and regathers himself.

"I am here to retrieve you, Oakley." He says in his formal, business like voice. Confused, I look back to Mia. She walks up to me, ready to explain.

"Since Jax and you are hosting the Annual Ball this year, it is tradition for the highest ranking, unmated male to escort you. You're supposed to do this whole extravagant entrance." She explains, waving her hands around to show that it's not that big of a deal.

"Yeah, and since Zane already has a mate, I have been graciously chosen for this role." He glances to Jennifer and then back to me, scratching the back of his neck nervously. I nod in understanding and look around to make sure I have everything. Grace walks up and hands me a small red, diamond hand purse. I thank her in return and look back towards Cade, who has his hand out for me.

"We'll meet you at the party." Mia reassures me with a smile. I walk out with Cade, the door closes behind us and then it's just the two of us. We walk at a slow pace because of the heels.

"You clean up nice." Cade says breaking the silence. I look to him, giving him a once over, his all black tuxedo, his coat unbuttoned to reveal a black vest with a subtle design and his black tie hidden underneath. His dark hair styled back, his face clean shaven.

"You do too." I say calmly. I hold on to his arm while he leads me closer to the ballroom. 

"How are you feeling?" He steals a glance at me. He stays quiet, his eyes darting everywhere.

"I'm managing, trying to accept everything and taking time for myself." He breathes out. I nod my head in understanding. Its quiet between us again, the only sound is the clacking of my heels as we walk. I look forward at the big double doors sitting right in front of us. I look them up and down, taking a deep breath.

"This will be over sooner than you'll know." He reassures me. I give him a smile.

"Aren't you excited for this?" I ask him, remembering how pumped he was for this when I had first heard about this ball. He lets out a chuckle and looks straight ahead, not letting me see any emotion in his eyes.

"I was, but after, well now this seems like a waste of time honestly." I let out a sound of understanding, feeling the same way.

"That makes the two of us." I smile and pat his arm gently, he lets out a small laugh and mumbles a 'yea'.

"No interruptions tonight right?" I finally ask, knowing that if my parents wanted to do something after the second killing, this would be the best time for it.

"No, Jax,  Zane, and I have been keeping in constant contact with the patrol reports, everything is clear, silent." I cautiously look around the hall.

"Any noise coming from Aaron?" Since he was still an Alpha, we couldn't attack him, put him in a cell or kick him off the territory with the Annual Ball the next day, we have just been keeping a close eye and making sure there are more security, no hallway, room, anywhere left unguarded. Which also meant someone Jax trusted to be at my side at all times.

"No, seems to be playing nice for now." I nod somewhat relived. I stand there, already wanting to be in my bed. 

"So how long do we have to stand here?" I ask getting impatient, taking a glance on his wristwatch, ten past seven.

"Until, I get the okay from Jax or Zane." He answers. I look around, starting to get the feeling like I'm being watched. I scan the room, looking, observing, taking in every detail. Trying to remember if something was different from when we first got here, but it seems like everything is at is was. The feeling gets worse but I can't see anything for hear anything for that matter.