Chapter 16

"They said it will be about a fifteen minute wait." Cade explains to us while we are sitting by Jax's car. 

"That's cool, we can just chill here until they are ready for us." Zane says calmly.

"I guess this place really is popular, I mean it's only twelve in the afternoon and this place is very packed." I think out loud.

"Oh it is, the food is out of this world, I've been dreaming of eating here when I came back from my travels." Cade says all too excited. I laugh at him, but he's right the food is out of this world. 

"So which Alphas are coming tomorrow?" I turn to Jax, curious about this whole event.

"Well, Alpha Oliver and his mate is coming with his pack, Alpha Tyler and his pack, and Alpha Aron and his pack." 

"Oh, Alpha Oliver?" I ask. He nods looking at me curiously.

"Yea, you know him?" I nod my head.

"Yea I met him briefly the same day you found me in the woods. He caught me trespassing on his territory, obviously I didn't realize I was on his territory. His mate was very nice, she convinced him to give me some food and let me pass through, obviously with an escort." I explain to him, trying to remember the name of his mate.

"Yea, Mia is a kindhearted wolf, I'm amazed when I met her considering her Mate Oliver is such a hot head." Zane, mentions kind of laughing at the statement. I smile to myself remembering that day, how sweet she was convincing him to give me some food and trusting me enough to let me pass.

"Yea, I thought for sure I would have been locked up before she came." I think about tapping my chin. I notice Jax glance at me letting a small smile escape just for a second.

"Party for Zane!" A woman's voice booms through the crowded sidewalk. We all jump up to the voice ready to sit down and eat. We walk up to the host ready to be seated, Jax grabs my hand and stops. I look back at him, confused.

"Hey go grab our table we will meet you guys there shortly." Jax tells the rest of the group, they all go inside with no question.

"Oakley." Is all he says. I look at him confused, waiting him to start talking.

"How are you doing?" He asks not tearing away from my gaze.

"What do you mean?" I ask confused.

"I just wanted to check in with you, privately. Since it's so loud here, no one can really eavesdrop on us." I nod in understanding. How am I doing? No on has ever asked me that except for Jennifer. 

"I don't know. Everything is happening so fast, and I feel very vulnerable and I don't like feeling that way." I admit to him. He stays quiet, thinking of his next words.

"I see, that's understandable. But why vulnerable?" I sigh, holding myself and looking away.

"I'm still trying to accept that you know who I am, that you know my past. Just being me is very dangerous and it's scary knowing that information about me is now trusted to someone I've only known a few weeks." I explain, whimpering to myself at the pained look he's giving me. He lifts himself off his car and stands right up to me, he looks down at me putting his hand gently on my cheek. I look up at his eyes, seeing the pain and some other emotion.

"Oaks, I want you to know that there is no one you can trust more than me, I know we've only known each other for a few weeks but I'll die before I let anything happen to you." I move away from him after his confession.

"No." I say not being able to look at him.

"No?"He asks confused,

"I don't want to be the fault for anyone else's death. I don't want you to die for me. I wouldn't be able to handle that again." I drop my head, tightening my grip on myself.