Chapter 19

"Oh maybe we can do something with a blue and purple?" Jennifer suggests, tangled in lights.

"Hmm, oh you just gave me an idea!" Mia squeals in excitement. I cover my ears at her reaction, I focus on detangling Jennifer from the lights that she some how got tangled in. After meeting all three alphas, the business started almost immediately. The men went into Jax's office, while the three of us went to the ball room to start brainstorming ideas for the ball. 

"Okay okay, I got it! Let's do a dusty lavender with navy blue color scheme!" Mia jumps up and down getting all excited.

"Does all this really matter?" I say dropping the lights on the floor. Mia freezes and turns back around to me.

"Of course all this matters!" She states. Jennifer looks up at me, and then back to Mia.

"The Annual Ball is the most important event to every wolf! It's an unmated wolf's chance to find their mate, it's also the time to bond with your own mate. It's also a symbol of peace, to show that the packs have peace with each other." She rambles on trying to prove her point, Jennifer gets more excited every time Mia gives me another example of why this whole thing matters.

"But it looks like that it's just an opportunity to get all dressed up and get drunk." I respond to her argument.

"Yes, some wolves sees this ball like that. But to the alphas and Lunas, it's to show everyone that we can work together to keep every pack and every wolf safe from rouges and anything else that threatens the safety of our wolves." She points out, going for another box of decorations. I let out a sigh, still not exactly understanding why they have to hold a dance to help strengthen the safety of their wolves and increase defenses.

"Let's just get this place decorated, we only have four days until the ball." Mia suggests, I nod my head knowing I won't get out of this even if I wanted too.

*******

Walking out of the ballroom, completely exhausted with all the planning and decoration ideas. I walk as fast as I can to get to the fridge, in desperate need of food. Once I reach the kitchen, I see Cade sitting alone eating ice cream. I walk up to the counter facing Cade, I notice the deep circles under his eyes and his hair all greased up and oily.

"Man, you should shower and then take a nap." I tell him, going straight for the ice cream. He looks up at me, not caring that I took some of his ice cream.

"Once I get something new on these rouges, then I'll think about it." He mumbles, putting a spoonful of ice cream in his mouth. I look at him, disgusted at the picture in front of me.

"Well, can you at least change your clothes?" I ask, looking down at his rugged clothes, his shirt covered in ink, food and alcohol. His pants in a similar state but with mud stains at his knees.

"Been doing some planting lately?" I ask, glancing down at his pants. He looks down at his knees.

"Oh that, I spent the night at the cemetery, it rained for the majority of the night." He shrugs, not caring. I finish the ice cream and slam my spoon down on the counter, getting pissed with every passing minute. Cade jumps from the sudden noise, looking at me wide eyed waiting for me to speak.

"Your pathetic!" I shout.

"Excuse me?" He seethes out, standing up to assert his dominance as a male wolf whose high up in the rankings.

"You heard me!" I shout back, I puff out my chest and hold my head high, showing him that he's not affecting me.

"The first night was understandable for you to be all sad and mopey. But it's been three days since your uncle died. You should be stronger than ever." He gives off a threatening vibe, not exactly happy with what I'm saying.