Chapter 18

I give myself one last look in the mirror, making sure that I look presentable. Today is the day that three different packs comes here, for this Annual Ball. I pick at my hair, trying to get it the way I want. Jax told me that since I'm, technically, his mate I have to attend all of these meetings to discuss the problems that have occurred. I think he just wants me there since I'm the only person who actually has an idea on what exactly my parents are planning.

"Oaks, hurry up!" Jax shouts, knocking on the door. 

"I'm almost done!" I yell back. I give myself one last look. My hair neatly pulled back in a low ponytail, with the ends curling up down my back. I smooth out my black, long sleeved, over the shoulder cropped shirt. Making sure I have no loose hair stuck on my shirt. I look down at my high waisted ripped jeans making sure I have them positioned perfectly. Once I'm satisfied with my outfit I go to put on some black high tops. I take on last breathe, trying to prepare myself for what's waiting in the hours to come. I try to stall as long as I can because staying in this room means that I can delay what's to come. Delay being face to face with Aron once again, I wished I would never see him again and now I'm going to be stuck with him for the next week. I roll my shoulders back, holding my head high putting on the best smile I can and open the door to see Jax leaning against the wall in front of me. The air is silent as he pushes himself off the wall, his eyes glued to me. He walks right up to me and gently traces his finger over my hair like he's mesmerized.

"Beautiful." He mumbled out while his eyes are jumping back and forth from my eyes to my mouth. As awkward as this is, I try not to shift in my position.

"Really? I've never worn something like this, I'm more of a low key outfit kind of girl. This isn't low key." I rant, still not completely comfortable. He just smiles at me.

"You look beautiful either way." His words made me blush, I look at the ground not sure how to respond to that. I notice his shoes, he's wearing a pair of shiny black oxfords. I trial up his legs to see him wearing a pair of grey pants with a black belt, and a navy blue button up with the sleeves ending right at his elbows. I notice that his shirt isn't fully buttoned up, letting his chest peek out just a little.

"You clean up nice." I say, changing the topic of me.

"This? This is just my casual alpha outfit. It's required to look my best as the alpha." He shrugs off the compliment. 

"Lets go, two of the alphas are already here, and we have to go meet them." He holds out his hand for me to take. At his words I swallow hard hoping that the two alphas here happen to not be Aron. I put my hands in my pockets ready to follow him down, not particularly wanting to hold his hand for the chance that Aron is the one waiting downstairs. He drops his hand with a frown, but immediately turning cold for the alphas. I walk on the side of him quietly the tension awkward but this time in a bad way. 

Walking down the stairs, I can feel my chest tightening, my hands are getting sweaty and my dread getting worse with every step. Once we reach the bottom, I glance around the room to see if I can recognize the face I hoped I could forget. I see the people in the room, Alpha Oliver, his mate Mia and another man who seems to be preoccupied with two women, their giggles making it clear that he's flirting with them. Once all five of them notice us, the two women flee, knowing that they aren't supposed to be here. The three of them come up to us ready to greet us.

"Alpha Jax." Oliver says, putting out his hand to shake. His eyes come to me, recognition showing all over his face.

"Rouge?" He questions looking back to Jax. 

"Alpha Oliver, I heard you two have met briefly. Let me introduce you two properly." Jax says, his voice different from what I'm used to. It's more cold and distant, the perfect tone for a powerful alpha.