17: A Different Lucas

"No, I don't wanna" I heard Lucas say from the hallway as I woke up.

"Why not?" I heard Nancy say.

I sat up in bed, and walked over to my door, placing my ear on it to listen. Max was still sleeping.

"I'm not in a very good mood Nancy" he said quite angrily.

"I need you to go do it for me Lucas, don't you love me?" She said loudly.

"Well, -"

"Good morning" I said as I pulled my door open, Lucas sighed with relief. I'd obviously just saved him.

"Eh you. Can't you see were trying to have a serious talk here?" Nancy said, crossing her arms.

"Yeah me." I smiled, "and can't you see that your arguing right outside of my bedroom and your loud voice wasn't the first thing I wanted to hear?" I said causing Lucas to giggle quietly.

"Whatever." She said giving me a dirty look. "I'll be downstairs, when your in a better mood come find me and bring my bag." She said looking at Lucas.

She went downstairs and I walked into the hallway, closing my door.

"Sorry you had to hear that..." Lucas said rubbing the back of his neck.

"It's okay, Iv heard worse things first thing in the morning." We both laughed, "why does she want you to get her bag?"

"She's going to a shoot today and she wants me to drive her there and her phones in our room in her bag."

"Do her legs not work? I'm sure she can walk to your room and back..."

"Yeah." Lucas said, "thanks for yesterday, you really helped me."

"So your gonna stop doing what she wants in order for pleasure?" I said with a smile.

"No, I still want pleasure. I'm just gonna make her work for it" he winked at me as he walked down the stairs.

I leaned my head back on my door and sighed.

"I'll drive you but you can get your own bag" I heard Lucas say to Nancy from downstairs, which made me chuckle.

She then stumped up to her room and stumped back down.

----

Me, Riley, Farkle and Max were sitting eating take out pizza when Lucas and Nancy came in from Nancy's shoot, arguing.

"Why have you stopped being so nice to me?" Nancy said with tears as she chucked the car keys on the ground.

"How have I? Iv just become the person I was before I met you, the person who didn't follow you around like a lost dog" Lucas shouted.

Nancy darted her eyes at me, "this is all because of you" she walked over pointing at me.

"Me? How?" I said standing up.

"Don't think I don't know about your little chat with my boyfriend yesterday the one where you basically told him he didn't love me"

"What? No I never-"

"I was there, in the bathroom, you no good boyfriend stealing bit-"

"Hey" Lucas and Max said loudly in sync.

"Don't you dare call her that" Lucas said, "if anyone's a bitch it's you." He said, causing her to run upstairs.

"Lucas." I said, looking at him and shaking my head. "I can fight my own battles..."

"That was to far dude. That's your girlfriend you were talking too" Farkle said, as he walked over to Lucas who was shaking with anger.

Max's phone began to ring, "I'll be right back, it's my mom" he said as he walked into the garden.

"Lucas, go see if she's okay." I said, looking down.

"No Maya I don't wan-"

"Lucas." I said loudly, "go."

He shook his head and began to walk up the stairs. A minute or so later Max walked in, asking to talk to me alone.

We went up to my room and sat on my bed. "So, what do you need to tell me?" I asked.

"I have to go home Maya." He said, holding onto my hand.

"What no you can't-"

"My older brothers been rushed into hospital and they don't know if he's gonna make it."

"I'll come with you." I said.

"No."

"Why? Just let me."

"No Maya, we all know you have unfinished business here." Why did I feel as if he was talking about Lucas.

I looked down, completely unsure of what to say. "When you get home we'll pick things up from where we left them."

"What are you saying?" I asked.

"I'm saying that whilst your in Texas, there's no me and you. You need to figure out what you feel for Lucas..."

"Riley." I said, looking down. "You heard us talking?"

He nodded.

"I'm sorry Max."

"It's fine" he said as he hugged me, "I'm gonna pack my stuff and then go."

"See you soon" I smiled with tears in my eyes as I let go of his hand and walked out of my door, shutting it behind me.

I went and sat outside, completely ignoring everyone. It started to rain but I didn't care.

I heard someone walking up to me, "can you just leave me alone. I don't wanna talk to anyone right now."

"Fine then" Lucas said, "I won't talk to you but I will sit with you"

He sat next to me and I leaned my head on his shoulder, "I think Max just dumped me, he's going home too"

"Why?" Lucas asked.

"Well he's going home because his brothers been rushed to hospital."

"Why did he dump you?" Lucas asked, looking into my eyes.

I let out a sigh, "because he over heard me and Riley talking about my feelings and you may have been involved..."

"What do you mean?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I mean, he thinks I need to figure out my feelings for you while I'm here in Texas."

"Do you think he's right?" Lucas asked quietly.

"I don't think he's wrong..." I whispered, looking down. "but I can't, at least not whilst your with Nancy."

He nodded, "yeah..."

"Speaking of the devil," I said "how is she? After you called her a bitch and all that..."

"She thinks I need to figure out my feelings for you." Lucas said, "but she still wants to date me right now"

"And what do you wanna do?" I asked.

"I don't wanna feel broken when you go back to New York, like I said yesterday to you - I wanna be loved, longterm... Not just for a holiday." He licked his lips.

"I get it. So your gonna stay with her" I lowered my head.

"Yeah."

I stood up and walked towards the back door to go into the house.

"We're friends right?" I asked turning around.

"Forever, no matter what" Lucas said.

"Good" I smiled, "you coming?" I asked holding out my hand. Lucas stood up and took it in his and we walked inside, soaking wet from the rain, together.