Chapter 34

Present time...

"I already told you! I didn't try to kill them!"

"Bullcrap! How are we supposed to believe that when the only other witness is in the hospital right now getting stitches for the wounds only you could have inflicted upon her!?"

"I was only trying to defend myself, they were trying to kill me with their quinque!"

"Don't give me that crap. You were trying to kill 'em."

"I was not! Why won't you believe me? I would never hurt anybody!"

A tall man in a pitch black suit pinched the bridge of his nose in annoyance. He sighed heavily through his mouth before he removed his hand and glared at the small girl handcuffed to the chair infront of him.

"So let me run through this one more time.... you were walking home, minding your own business when a high ranked member of the CCG appeared out of nowhere and attacked you... isn't that right Hizake-San?"

With tears falling from her eyes and down onto her bloody cheeks, Rima nodded,"I was only trying to defend myself..."She finally mumbled softly, her voice raw from yelling, and her wrist sore from pulling at the handcuffs.

5 Hours Earlier. When Rima left Re: Cafe....

Running out of the door, Rima took off into a sprint down the sidewalk, easily being able to dodge people who were walking with or against her.

Rima was filled with both anxiousness and anticipation at seeing Sasaki. She was anxious because she was worried at how her mind would would react. She was filled with anticipation because she hadn't seen a lot of Sasaki ever since that night he had brought her back from Choutaru's. He had been busy with getting things ready for their mission.

Today would be the first time in three days they would actually get to spend time together.

Of course it had to be when Rima was having a rough time. But she wouldn't let Sasaki know that she was having a moment. He was already worried about her. Plus he had to think about a million other things. He didn't need to fret over her anymore then he has.

Taking a turn down a shortcut street, Rima didn't notice the line of thinning people. She was concentrating on what Touka had told her.

The younger female was right. You could compare her situation kindly to that of when you lose a cherished childhood pet. You grew up with them, spent most of your life with them. Of course when they were gone, you would miss them dearly. And if you had gotten a new pet that looked exactly like the first, there were going to be times when the names got slipped up.

The only difference here was that Sasaki was a human being, he didn't deserve to get treated like some pet. He may not have said so, but Rima just knew it hurt him when she slipped up.

Rima - for the life of herself - couldn't understand why she was doing it all of a sudden. Was it because day by day, Sasaki was looking more and more like Kaneki.

Frowning, Rima slow led to a brisk pace.

How could it have been, that out of everyone that Rima could have been paired with, it had to have been Sasaki Haise.

It was like fate was just itching to tear her open and rip her emotions and mental stability apart. Rima was already more fragile then she could have ever known.

Looking up towards the sky, Rima tried to think back to a day were she could just aimlessly walk around, not having a care in the world. She wanted to go back to that time, tell herself - more like shout at the top of her lungs - that she should cherish these moments and make them last as long as they could, because one day... one day soon... her life wouldn't be so easy.