••Chapter 63••

This is it... It all comes down to this... I promised you I would protect you, but I couldn't... I hope you'll forgive me when we met again Rima-chan...

Kaneki sat crouched down in a room filled with lockers, his head in his hands. His plans to release the ghouls of Cochlea was just second from starting and his heart was racing a mile a minute. Both from nervousness, and the news of what he was told.

The body that was found in the 5th ward had a high chance of being Rima's. Kaneki had over heard a few investigators talking about it in the halls, as he made his way to his office earlier that morning.

Rima had made an encounter with a few CCG agents and attempted to contact them - he heard that she tried to attack, but knowing Rima, she only want to try and come back home - and in the mist of all the confusion and ruckus, Rima ended up getting murdered.

It saddened and angered him though that if it was all just a misunderstanding - even if she was attacking - Rima was in no shape to fight a group of investigators. So why couldn't they have just immobilized Rima? Why did they have to kill her, let alone brutally beat her until her body is almost unrecognizable?

Kaneki had tried not to let the gossip get to him, but with all the anger and hate targeted towards Rima, and the body showing up in the 5th ward... it all just fit.

The love of his life was gone...

Kaneki remembered back when he was Sasaki, when Rima was telling him about how she felt when she realised that Kaneki - that he had died, how she didn't feel like going on anymore. That there was no point in living anymore when the person who is your world is gone. The person who gave you a reason to get up in the morning, to breath.

He realised now how she felt. That intense feeling of just utter hopelessness as you can do nothing about it.

I should have tried harder... I should have done everything to keep you safe.. I'm sorry Rima-chan... Im so sorry...

Kaneki chocked back the lump in his throat. If he was found crying, surely someone would know something was up.

Pushing himself into a standing position, Kaneki made sure his face was blank of emotion before he stepped out into the hall.

Please don't worry, we'll be together soon... I just have a few things I have to do first...

Kaneki didn't let his mind stray far from his only source of light as he set himself on his path to a certain brown haired ghoul, setting every cell open that he passed.

Rue Island : Aogiri Tree Base...

"Isn't this going to be so much fun!?"Kanae exclaimed excitedly to the figure next to her. "It's just like one of those action movies! And we get a front row seat!"

The figure said nothing in reply. Their attention was on the archway on the other side of the large room. This is it... it all comes down to this... I'm sorry I couldn't keep you safe and watch over you better... but I'll make sure to do things right when we see each other again....

"Here they come~!"Kanae hopped around slightly, the bandages on her side shooting pain in protest as she looked towards the seething man sitting in the chair on the raised platform they were all on.

"You would do well to keep that mouth shut."The whitish blonde haired male muttered lowly, but the woman still heard.

Her excitement quickly dropped and she took a step back to stand beside the figure. Just you wait... when I get my brother back, you'll be sorry...