Chapter 35

The blow caught Rima right in the shoulder, knocking her back a foot and a half, sending a wave of pain all across her whole left side.

"Ugh!"Rima gasped, her hand flying straight to the source of the pain. It was there she felt something that resembles that of an ice pick that was still stuck in her upper chest/shoulder.

"H-Huh?..."Rima was utterly confused as she swayed a bit, slowly shifting her eyes to glance at what she was holding. The train groaned loudly behind her, the rails protesting against the weight of the load.

"Would you look at that!? It seems you didn't really gain the ability to have quick reflexes did you?"

Looking up with wide eyes, Rima saw Kanae standing a few feet away with a smile on her face. It took her a moment to realize she was holding something in her right hand.

A quinque....

Rima's body stumbled a bit as the pick was suddenly retracted from her body, blood spitting out of the wound before it started to pour out, staining her shirt before ultimately closing up.

"Kan-nae-San... what are you d-doing?"Rima stuttered wide eyed as she took another step back, stopping dangerously close to the crossing arms.

Kanae shook her head,"I'm sorry Hizake-chan... but it has to be done. Please don't take it personally, I really do like you..."

And again, before Rima really had time to react, Kanae lurched forward, quinque at the ready, taking aim for Rima's mid-section.

But luck was on Rima's side and she was a bit faster at reacting. Only catching a graze, Rima was able to side flip to the right, landing on her feet in a crouch.

"Kanae-San!"Rima yelled as she had to yet again jump out of the way,"Stop!"

"What's going on Hizake-chan? Are you not going to pull out your secret weapon and play?"

Kanae was pretty strong for a human. Even with that quinque, her blows where powerful.

"I'm not going to fight you!"Rima yelled jumping backwards about 10 feet to at least get some distance. That weapon Kanae had looked sort of like a tightly wound coil that would unroll as fast as a bullet an pierce its target just like a snake.

Rima gulped as Kanae stood to her full height. She had to get out of here. There was no way she was going to fight her. Why should she anyway? Why did Kanae want her to use her kagune?

Was she just using Rima as a way to practice fighting ghouls? Or was there a deeper reason? Rima kind of had a feeling it was the latter by what she recalled the older female saying right before she attacked.

"Kanae-San! Why!? Why are yo-"

Rima's eyes widened as a sudden feeling of dread washed over her. She remembered back when she first met Kanae, that instant feeling of terror and doom that she felt as she shook hands with her. The feelings Rima dubbed as just being scared to start work.

Feelings that she shouldn't had just shoved away.

"What's wrong Hizake-chan?"Kanae teased, taking a step closer and smiling as she noticed Rima take one back,"Cat got your tongue?"

Rima frowned heavily. She needed to get out of here before something bad happened. Not even giving any warning, Rima spun on her heels and took off down a side road, one that ran parallel with the speeding train.

"Don't run away from your fate Hizake!"Rima heard Kanae yell over the roar of the train after her.

Rima shook her head,"Leave me alone!"She yelled over her shoulder.