••Chapter 48••

"T-the doctors went to go check on her this evening a-and to give her some pa-pain medicine when they found h-her room empty!"The girl squeaked out as Akira practically grew horns.

"How could she have escaped!? There were guards watching her!"Akira fumed. She knew right from the moment this all started that that woman was no good.

The younger girl jumped back in fear as Akira struggled to keep her glare to a minimum.

"The guards were found with blunt f-force trauma to the back of the h-head... most likely by a-a bat or something.."

Sasaki furrowed his brows,"Was there any signs of a struggle in her room?"He asked before Akira could finally kill the girl with just her stare.

The girl seemed a bit less nervous talking to a cool and calm collected Sasaki, so much so that she was able to stand up straighter.

"None that we have f-found yet, Sasaki-San..."

Sasaki looked to Akira,"Do you think this has anything to do with Rima's release?"He questioned and both Akira and Arima looked in his direction.

"What makes you think that?"Arima questioned as Akira took deep breath to calm her anger.

Sasaki looked to the ground,"I'm... I'm not sure but... I have this feeling that this is all ties together... Kanae suggesting that Rima get sent away... then disappearing?"

"Ac-actually.."Everyone's eyes turned back to the girl,"Everyone is thinking that Hizake-San is the one who did this..."

Now it was Sasaki's turn to grow horns,"What!?"

"Sasaki, calm down."Arima said calmly as he stood to his feet beside Akira, who's own eyes were wide with disbelief.

How could they think Rima done this?

"Why would they think that? And who is they?"Akira demanded.

The started to twiddle her fingers,"The news of Gozure-sans disappearance i-is trying to be kept under wraps, but the investigators who know, think Hizake-San had someone ta-take her so she could kill her for getting her c-caught..."

Sasaki had to place a hand against the wall as he tried to process the news. Rima still being blamed for something that he knew 100% wasn't her. How is that even possible?

Sasaki...

A shiver went through Sasaki's body, making the hair at the back of his neck stand straight. Something in his gut told him to turn around.

So slowly and surely, Sasaki turned halfway and looked over his shoulder.

"Oh no.."He breathed out, feeling his heart drop 10 feet. Rima wasn't on the cameras anywhere. Hell, no one was on any of the cameras."Akira-San, Arima-San.. look.."

At his request, the two oldest doves turned their head towards the screen Sasaki was looking at. Arima's lips pressed into a thin line an Akira's parted slightly in absolute disbelief.

"Why can things never go our way?.."She asked rhetorically."

"Base station, this is First Ranked Investigator Kanato Higari... The inmate Hizake Rima is now released...."A rough voice floated through the speaker set on the desks,"I repeat... Hizake Rima is now released..."

With Rima...

"Nhh..."Rima groaned as she held her side, stumbling along the sidewalk. She tried hard to ignore the stares of total strangers as they silently judged her, whispering to their companions once they thought they were out of war range.