vii

Mia's POV:

The devestating news hits us all as we sit in our first period classes—which Zayn was absent from. "Students, may we have your attention?"

My whole class quiets down, the only thing heard is the heavy breathing of
every student. "We have some very sad news for you all today. Our own Delila
Young has been missing since after school yesterday. The police are doing their very best to bring her home safely. They will be calling some students down to the office for some questions. Have a good rest of the day."

It's completely quiet in the classroom before a boy asks, "Are they saying she's kidnapped or something?"

The teacher shakes their head. "No, no. They aren't sure whether it's kidnap or she just ran away."

A discussion is brought around as the only thought that enters my mind is the scream in Zayn's home.

I walk down the hallway absentmindedly as Harry walks up to me. "Mia, can we please talk? Just hear me out."

"Okay." I agree, fiddling with my fingers.

"The reason I don't like Zayn is because I see him as a threat."

"How so?"

"You like him and I like you. That's the only reason I don't like him."

"Okay, but why doesn't he like you?" I ask, staring into his worried eyes.

"He knows I like you, that's why." He admits, looking down at his feet.

"I see." I head towards the library as he follows me contiously. "Well, how about you come over to my house for some dinner tonight? My mom's making some salmon with quinoa and she would love to have somebody over."

He grins, "I don't see why not."

"I'll see you at six, then." I smile before walking away.

"Mia Clarke, head down to the principal's office." A voice over the intercom orders me.

Sighing, I readjust my backpack and head down to the office. I knock on the door after I get passed the secretary, and the door opens. An officer greets me formaly and asks me to come in.
I walk in and sit down a cross from him. "How're you Ms. Clarke?"

"I'm okay. Just a bit shocked on what happened with Delila." I admit, staring straight into his bright blue eyes.

"Aren't we all?" He asks, tapping his pen. "May I ask you a few questions?"

"Yes."

"Do you know Delila Young?"

"I do." I tell him as he scribbles down my answer on his paper.

"How well did you know her?"

"Not too well on a personal level." I admit. It's true, we weren't good friends and never had hung out or anything like that.

"I see. How would you describe your relationship with her?" The officer asks, looking at me intensly.

"Acquaintances."

"Okay. Have you seen or heard anything suspicious since yesterday?"

My mind wanders to the screaming in Zayn's house, but he said it was just his aunt. "No."

"And have you had any contact with Delila since yesterday?"

"No, officer." I reply, my mind still on Zayn.

Walking through the door, my mom greets me. "Hey Mia."

"Hi mom. I invited Harry over for dinner tonight, is that okay?"