xxix

Mia's POV:

My eyes look up as I hear my door open and see Zayn come in with a tray of food, "Hey." He smiles, warily.

"Hi." I reply, smiling slightly.

"I thought you might be hungry..."

"I am, yeah."

He sets down the food on my bed and sits down next to me, "Are you okay?"

"Not really." I admit, shyly, putting my head down.

"I'm sorry for blowing up...I just..." Zayn tries to explain himself but can't find the words.

"It's okay."

"No, it's really not."

I let my head hang and look at my food as I feel his gaze on me. Suddenly, he lifts my head up with his finger, "I did love you, you know."

"Did?"

He doesn't reply, just stares at me.

"I know you're a good guy, Zayn...despite all this." I tell him, knowing he will tell me otherwise. "And I don't care what you'll say...because I know it in my heart."

"Why are you so kind?" He asks, looking down at his lap.

"Because I love you. Despite all the things you have done."

Zayn goes to reply, but quickly changes the subject. "I'll answer any question you have if you tell me how you knew I was a demon. Sound like a deal?"

I'm about to call him out on changing the subject, but decide against it, "Deal."

My eyes don't leave him as I watch him fidget nervously, "Okay."

"I had no idea at first, not at all. But everything kind of started coming together after Delila's death. Harry and you were just...way too weird. I knew something was up between you two, but didn't want to believe it." I take a deep breath, going on. "So I didn't let myself. Then it really hit me when you persuaded that nurse at the hospital...but again, I ruled it out."

He smiles, "Why? I don't understand why you would just shrug it off."

"I don't know, honestly. Maybe it was because I was incredibly stupid or because I was so in love with you."

"And?"

"And then it made more sense as I realized you never talked like the rest of us. You had something old-fashioned about you, but I didn't think too much of it. You also said some pretty damn shady stuff to me." I laugh, making him grin. "And then I also realized it more when I found that book...and then all those messages, the times I saw you talking to people like Harry and Thomas."

Zayn grimaces, "I knew I was being watched."

I go on, "But I do think I knew after all that...I just didn't care. It didn't matter to me, because you meant so much to me. That's all that mattered to me."

"How naïve." He laughs, shaking his head. "You humans and your unrealistic ideals on love."

"Tell me about it."

"Thanks for telling me. Now, ask me anything."

"Okay," I agree, straightening my legs out. "Why were you crying that day in the woods? Obviously, it isn't because your aunt's dead."

He bites his cheek, "I-It was because that was the day I realized I was falling in love with you."

My mouth falls open, "Oh."

"I didn't want to, but I was. You're the first person in over seven decades to make me feel anything other than anger."

Noticing his discomfort, I move on. "Why did you help me go see Harry?"

"I saw how much he meant to you as a friend, and I wanted to see you smile again. I told myself over and over again it was for the sake of my plan, only that. But I knew deep down it was because I loved you so much." He tells me, not meeting my eyes.

"And how do you feel about me now?" I ask, preparing myself for the worst.

"That's the thing...I still love you, Mia Clarke."

I can't help the grin that overtakes my face, "Does what we did mean anything to you?"

"I still stand by what I said about being an old-fashioned man, Mia. I don't do anything like that without loving the person."

Without thinking, I lean in and place my lips on his.

A gasp leaves his, and he pulls away, his eyes widened. "Mia..."

"Don't talk." I tell him, breathlessly. "I want only you, Zayn."

A grin spreads on his face and he nods, "Okay."

He reconnects our lips and leans me down on the bed, running his hands up and down my waist, "Are you sure?"

"I've never been more sure in my whole entire life." I reassure him, looking at the stars dancing in his eyes.

Zayn takes my shirt off and goes onto my bra when he suddenly stops.

"What's wrong?"

"I-I can't."

"What do you mean?" I ask, my eyebrows furrowing.

"I can't get attached, Mia...I already love you so much...all those days we spent together meant so much to me. I made the most of every single moment we had together, because I knew this day would come." He mumbles, standing up abruptly.

"You mean the day you sacrifice me."

Zayn's eyes widen at my words, but he nods.

"Oh."

"Don't act surprised, Mia! I can't just back out, you know that."

"I don't, actually. You don't have to do this." I tell him, my eyes pleading with his.

"It's already too late. The dates set...I-I need to do this as quick as I can." He lets out a shaky breath, stepping back slowly.

"When is it?"

"Tomorrow."

"That soon?" My voice cracks, my world shattering. "I only get one more night of living?"

"I'm afraid so."

"That's not fair, Zayn! I-I haven't been able to do all the things I have wanted to...I haven't gone zip-lining or paragliding yet! I haven't gone to college and gotten my dream job...I-I haven't travelled the world and married my true love...I haven't had kids and watch them grow up." My voice turns angry. "You realize this goes against everything you told me about how it's not fair that people don't get to live their lives."

He suddenly turns angry, "And neither did I!"

"That makes it no better! Stop trying to make yourself feel better by feeling like you're getting justice. You're just as bad as the people who killed you, Zayn!"

"I-I am better than them!"

"No, you aren't." I glare at him, my body shaking with rage.

He goes to reply to me, but turns around and walks out the door, slamming it shut.

"Zayn! Don't you dare walk away from this!" I scream, jumping up and banging on the door as hard as I can.

But he's already gone.
----

Thank you all for 4K reads! That means so freaking much to me. I love you all so freaking much.

Fun fact: this story is almost over! Wanna know the name of the second book?

*drum roll*

Shadows

Wow, yes MapleLeafx and I are just way too freaking creative. Thank you, thank you.

Remember to keep an eye out for my new Louis story "The Box"! And for "Shadows"!

I love you all so much and please remember to vote and comment! Until next time 😘