xxi

Mia's POV:

We all watch the screen intently as the red and blue lights flicker everywhere. The camera zooms in on the corpse and then back out to the news anchor. "Tonight Officer Brown's body has been found in the woods near Main Street. All the information we have at the moment is that he must've died from 8:00-8:10 pm."

My eyes wander over to Zayn and I make myself look back at the screen. What if it was Zayn who killed him? He was in the woods for quite a bit and he had it out for him.

"We don't know whether or not it was accidental or homicidal. More information will be released later."

What am I even thinking? There's no way Zayn could've killed him! We were too far away and he surely isn't a murderer.

"Well, that's just terrible..." My mom sighs, placing a hand on her heart. "He was quite a nice man."

I hear Zayn laugh, "I hate to contradict what you just said, Mrs. Clarke, but from what I've seen he isn't too kind. If it turns out to be a homicide, I can't say I would be surprised. He had it coming."

She nods slightly, "Maybe so."

After Zayn pretends to leave, I kiss both my parents on the cheek and head to my room. A grin finds my lips as I see him hiding under my covers. When I close the door, he peaks his head out, "Is it safe yet?"

"Yes." I laugh, jumping on my bed. "Want to watch a movie?"

"I don't see why not."

"Okay, any suggestions?"

"How about 50 shades of grey?" He teases, wiggling his eyebrows.

I hit his arm, "Hell no."

As I give him a book of movies to pick through, my phone starts buzzing. A groan leaves my lips as I turn it over to find out it's Harry calling. I press ignore and continue to look through with him.

Many minutes pass and the endless buzzing of my phone goes on and on. Anger radiates off of me as I pick my phone up and put it on speaker, "What the hell do you want?"

"Miaaaaaaa." Harry's drunken slur calls me.

"What do you want?" I ask again, running my hand through my hair.

"Youuuuuuu."

Zayn speaks up, "Stop being a bonehead, mate. Leave the girl alone, won't you?"

My ears pick up at his unusual vocabulary.

"Ohhhh, Zayn's there also?" He laughs. "Why don't you tell Mia what you did to her?"

My heart stops and Zayn's face turns white. "Fuck off, mate."

After he hangs up, I look over at Zayn. "What did he mean, and who is her?"

He laughs, "Don't even worry about it. He was just talking about the time I got in a quarrel with Delila. Not a big deal."

"Okay..." I trail off, standing up. "Well I'm going to hurry and get dressed for bed."

"You do so."

And so I do, I grab my clothes and head to the bathroom to get all ready for bed. Consequently, I head out and sit on the bed to only notice Zayn looking away.

"You okay?" I ask, grabbing his chin and turning his face towards mine.

A scream crawls up my throat. His eyes...their black.

"What's wrong?" He asks, confused.

"Your...your eyes."

Zayn's eyes widen and he quickly turns away, closing them. Afterwards, he reopens them and their suddenly back to brown. "What's wrong with them?"

"They...they were black."

"Mia, what're you taling about? It's impossible for humans to get black eyes."

"No, they were. I know it. You know it too." I tell him, sure it was real.

"You're wrong, Mia. They weren't black. You just imagined it. Forget about it." He tells me, sternly.

Suddenly it makes sense. "I'm wrong, they weren't actually black. I just imagined it, I must forget about it."

"That's my baby girl."

*Next Day*

For dinner, Zayn and I dress appropriately and head downstairs towards my parents.

"I made some shrimp alfredo, is that okay with you?" She asks Zayn, grinning.

"It's perfect, Mrs. Clarke."

As we all sit around each other, enjoying our food, Zayn takes a deep breath before turning to my dad. "May I ask you something?"

My dad nods, "Of course."

"There is a dance coming up on February 17th and I was wondering if you would give me the honor of taking Mia." I smile slightly at him as we both wait for my dad's answer.

He finishes eating, "I accept."

A grin forms on his face, "You won't regret it, Sir."

"I know I've said this before, but I can't help but note on how old-fashioned you are. It is a great quality to have, my boy."

"Why, thank you. But I shouldn't be given all the credit. Sure, my father taught me to be that way...but my best friend back in Bradford made sure I stuck with it." He laughs, his eyes lighting up. "It's actually quite funny, but we would always go with each other to ask the father's of the girls we wanted to take if it was okay..."

My mom chuckles, "That's too cute."

"Why, thank you." He takes a small sip of water. "But the best part of him was that he always kept me out of trouble."

As my mom hands out dessert, my dad asks Zayn more questions. "What are your plans with Mia when you two go to the dance?"

"I don't know if he'll tell you, dad." I laugh, taking a small bite of key lime pie.

"Let the boy answer, darling." My mom winks.

"Oh, but I must not tell you." He answers, looking over at me and smirking. "All I can say is that it'll be truly shocking."
----

I'm so freaking sorry I haven't updated in a while and I'm also so freaking sorry this isn't the usual length. I was just in such a hurry to update! I'll make it up to you all next time!

Please remember to vote and comment! It always means a ton.

AND THANK YOU FOR 2K READS!! ❤️❤️