xvii

Mia's POV:

"So Zayn, what are your plans for Halloween?" My mom asks, taking a small bite of meatloaf.

He smiles and swallows his food, "Nothing. I don't ever go out on Halloween."

My dad nods, "Right? Bad vibes all around."

"Superstitious." I cough, making my mom and Zayn laugh. But my dad doesn't look too amused.

"Why don't you like it?"

He looks at my mom and answers her question, "Just bad experiences."

"What kind of bad experiences?"

I notice Zayn's mouth fall slightly open and see him getting backed into a corner he desperately wants to get out of. "Oh, it's nothing much mom. Just had some kids scare him when he was young."

His lips curl up a bit at my lie. "Yes, that's it."

"What assholes." My mom notes and then goes back to the conversation with my dad.

Zayn and I sit in my room and I bite my lip, "Listen...I'm really sorry about my mom. She can be a bit nosy, but she means well."

"Oh, it's fine. Thanks for helping me out though."

"No problem." I smile, looking down at my hands. "By the way, what did happen that made you hate it?"

His eyes seem to darken, "I don't really want to talk about it. I'll tell you all about it one day, though."

"Okay...that's fine." I look down at my lap and my eyes wander up a bit and I find him watching me lovingly, "What?"

"I was just thinking..."

"About?"

"About how lucky I am to have you here in my life."

My cheeks turn a dark red and I push my hair back, "You don't mean that."

A smile finds its way onto his lips, "But I do. And it's kind of scary if you think about it. How is it even possible to be so infatuated by somebody that sometimes when you see them, you almost forget to breath? Or how they're the only thing on your mind all the time?"

I'm trying to find a way to say something, but I can't. "But I don't think that's the scariest thing. I think the scariest thing is not knowing if they feel the same about you."

"I don't know what to say..." I mumble, not realizing we felt the same exact thing.

"Don't say anything."

Without realizing, I catch my eyes lingering on his lips. I let my eyes wander up to his eyes and notice him staring at me with the same facial expression that I am. Before my brain can register what's happening, we are both leaning in and the only thing that I can hear is my rapid beating heart.

Our lips interlock and we move them together in sync. My hands find their way up to his hair and he gently pulls my waist towards his, his hands almost begging me to sit down. I teasingly do so and his hands rub up and down my back, and I sneakily slide mine to the bottom of his shirt and lift it over his head. I throw it off to the side and push some of my body weight on him, hoping he will lay down.

 I throw it off to the side and push some of my body weight on him, hoping he will lay down