xxvii

Mia's POV:

My eyes open, and confusion hits me as I realize I'm not in room. I get up and cautiously head over to the door, praying to God that it would be open.

Turning the doorknob, I sigh in relief when it pushes open. I wander down the hallway and hear voices talking faintly. As I head down the hallway closer to the voices, I realize who's house this is, Zayn's.

"I'm very sorry, Mrs. Clarke. I hope Mia returns home safely." I hear Zayn tell them, and my mind goes wild.

What was he talking about? I was right here in his house.

"Thank you, Zayn. If you hear anything from anybody, please let us know." My dad sighs.

"Will do, sir."

I quickly jump into a dark corner near another door when I hear the front door close and soon after his footsteps walking down the hall. I hold my breath as Zayn passes, and when I'm sure he's out of sight, fast walk down the hallway. I stop at the end of the hallway and am greeted with a decision. I can either run down the short hallway to the door, or take the long hallway leading to the backdoor which he wouldn't expect.

My eyes wander to the long hallway for a second, but I quickly turn back to the front door. My heart jumps out of my chest and I gasp as I see Zayn leaning against the wall near the front door, tauntingly. "Where do you think you're going, Mia?"

It takes a second to wrap my mind around the conversation, but I soon reply. "What were you talking about with my parents, Zayn?"

"Didn't you hear?" He asks, tilting his head.

"Hear what?"

"My dear, you have gone missing." Zayn pouts, but soon after lets out a loud laugh.

I'm lost for words at his response. "Excuse me?" I ask in disbelief.

"You went missing last night after the dance. Such a shame, am I right? Your poor parents...how they must feel right now."

"I-I..." I take a deep breath. "Does this mean what I think it means?"

"That I kidnapped you?" He asks, smirking. "Seems to be. If only your parents didn't believe that you left the dance with an older guy, maybe the police would come and search my house. But that's too bad it didn't turn out that way."

My mind can't comprehend what to say. As he stares me down, my eyes flicker over to the front door right behind him. What would happen if I ran at Zayn without him suspecting it? Maybe it would give me enough time to get out the front door and scream at the very least.

Zayn's eyes watch me cautiously, and they light up as he laughs. "Don't even try to run, you won't make it out the front door."

I don't know why I couldn't remember what happened, but I knew this wasn't the same Zayn I loved. This wasn't him at all. And I knew I couldn't trust him.

He nods me over towards him, a sign that I have given up. To let him think he has won, I start walking towards him until I turn on my heel and sprint for the backdoor.

Before I can even fling the door open, he grabs my hair and yanks me, resulting in me on my back. I gasp for air as I see his blurry face look down at mine, "Don't do that ever again."

Getting up, I hold my chest to manage my breathing. "I can't believe I trusted you."

Zayn looks down at me as he takes a sip of coffee, "We all make that mistake one day or another."

"I can't believe I trusted you..." I murmur again. "I didn't listen to anybody because I couldn't make myself believe you could do those...inhumane things."