xviii

Mia's POV:

My breathing is heavy, and I can't see anything but blurred lights in front of me. They told me they had to cover my face because I couldn't know where they met just yet. I wasn't to be trusted just yet.

I'm lead into a room and finally the bag is ripped off my head. My hair is flying everywhere and I let my eyes scan over the group of people in front of me. All dressed in black, they all stare at me with interest. They all know I'm new and that I want to be like them.

But as the leader starts speaking, I'm not too sure what was going through my mind when I reached out to a member. "We are all here to show our love and dedication to Lucifer himself. We do not worship God no longer!" A bunch of loud and obnoxious, "Yeah's!" are spread out around the room.

I don't know why I decided to join this group for I did believe in God. Perhaps it is a rebellion against my father and mother. Maybe I just wanted to show them that I could make my own decisions, that I didn't need them to hover over me like they always did. I didn't need my friend to do so either.
I was tired of being the kid that nobody payed any attention to, I wanted to be feared.

"Tonight..." The leader smirks evilly. "We are going to do something us council members have been discussing."

Something about the way he says it makes shivers run up my spine. The people around him were no where like him, I could tell me was pure evil. And I wanted to leave right now.

"Tonight..." One of the girls speaks confidentally, "We will finally call upon Him to come meet us."

My stomach lurches. Were they actually serious? Cheers erupt around me. "But there's a catch...we need a very brave person to help us with this."

This didn't sound too good. I start backing up slowly towards the door I know for sure we came in through. The cheers stop as the council looks over us, looking for the one person to help.

"You." My whole world stops and I look up to only realize the leader is pointing directly at me. "Come up here."

I feel the bile rise up my throat as the members push me towards the front. He grabs my shoulders and shakes me slightly, "Thank you for your sacrifice."

"No..." I murmur, the situation finally coming together in my mind. "No!"

I run forward, trying my best to push through the mass of people. And I almost make it, I almost do. Many strong young boys pick me up and lift me in the air as I try my best to struggle out of their grips, "No! Let me go!"

"We thank Tyra for bringing a new member to us for this night...and we thank you for sacrificing your life for our savior." He goes on and my panic only rises.

I scream and cry as I'm forced onto the table near the council and tied down to it, "Please!"

I feel him grab my chin and hold it, yelling out more nonsense to the crowd around him. My eyes wander around madly as I notice the other council members drawing a symbol onto the walls around me.

 My eyes wander around madly as I notice the other council members drawing a symbol onto the walls around me