Chapter 39

I made a sharp turn down Sunset Dr, now only about 10 minutes from the hospital.

"Call Mom." I said aloud commanding my built in car Bluetooth.

As I merged in with the right lane I heard the ringing before she picked up.
"Iain where are you?! The party is-",

I slammed my hand down on the wheel as I came to a red light.
"Mom listen to me! There's been a accident. I need you to cancel the party, notify close friends and relatives and get everyone to the hospital ASAP. Aaliyah and Lilli is hurt.",

There was a gasp then a pause before my mom responded a "Ok." And disconnected the call.

A thousand thoughts were running through my head, and somehow I just couldn't bring myself to that point of total heartbreak. Maybe that comes later while determination takes over now. My daughter and the only woman I have ever loved life is possibly in danger. I saw that scene on the Boulevard... What if they didn't make it?
I shook my head of that negative thought as I sped in the hospital's parking lot entrance and parked in the nearest spot. Hopping out of my car, I didn't care if I took up two parking spots I just needed to see if my loves were okay.

Running through the hospital's automatic sliding doors, I frantically asked the desk nurse about Aaliyah and Lilli.
The nurse, whose name tag read Sarah told me she knows that case and for me to wait for Dr. Ceris to finish operating and come get me.

"No you don't understand, I need to see them! Ple-",

Sarah reached for the security button on the desk wall.

"Sir if you don't sit and wait patiently I will be forced to call security."

I backed away from the desk and ignored the many stares I got as I found a seat and sat in the waiting room. I put my elbows on my knees as I folded my hands and put them up to my mouth, shaking my leg I stared at the pristine white tiles.
How could I wait? How could I just sit around and do nothing? Fuck I feel helpless. I can't lose my daughter, not when I just got her back. I've been granted a second chance, I...I can't mess this up anymore.

And Aaliyah. How would I continue life without her? How would I wake up in the morning knowing she wouldn't be there. I can't lose her either, call me selfish all you want. I need her.

"Iain!",
My thoughts were interrupted by my mom and the whole entourage she gathered. Aaliyah's mom, dad, sister and cousin along with my dad, Tierney, Uncle Joe, Angela, my sister and a red head who I guessed to be Ginger.

I stood as they all approached me. Angela was the first to ask, and I could see the tears in her eyes threatening to fall.
"Will....will they be okay?" Her voice riddled with shakes.

I sighed and looked down to my shoes, some how feeling ashamed. Guilty. But why?
"I don't know Angela."

As soon as those words came out of my mouth not only did Angela break down crying but so did Ginger, Aaliyah's mom, her dad and so did my sister. I guess the rest of us is just trying to stay brave and hopeful.

Taking our seats, we all sat in silence. Waiting for who knows how long before a doctor taking off his gloves advanced towards us.
Me, and a few others stood once he approached the waiting room section.

"Mr. Pliegue?",

I swallowed nervously.

"Yes."

The doctor stretched out his hand.

"Dr. Ceris. If you and a few family members will please come with me.",

Everyone stood.

"I'm sorry but not all of you can come. Closest kin only please."

Both of Aaliyah's and I parents came along with Angela.

We walked towards the corridor leading to the hospital rooms.
I couldn't take being in the dark any longer.

"Doctor, so what's the situation." I asked.

Dr. Ceris kept a blank face.

"Your daughter will be fine. She managed to walk away with only a broken leg and minor scapes."

I internally sighed but not completely relieved.

"And Aaliyah?" Angela asked.

We stopped in front of a hospital room door that read '122' on the opposite side of the door was a big window but it's curtains were closed.

Dr. Ceris sighed.

"Aaliyah was a difficult case. She came in with fractured ribs, a broken collar bone and major concussion and a few broken bones. We were able to fix most injuries but...."

He stopped mid explanation.

"What. What is it?!" My voice raised in fear of what he would say next.

"The injuries weren't surprisingly that life threatening but the pain was intense. We put Aaliyah in an induced coma-"

Dr. Ceris was cut off by the cries of Shirley and Angela.

"And there's a 50% chance she may not wake up. It's up to Aaliyah now."

With that last sentence Shirley and Angela weren't the only ones crying now. I felt hot, salty tears fall from my eyes.

"I want to see her." I said, with all the strength I could muster.

Opening the door, Dr. Ceris stepped aside and let us go in.
When I saw her I almost fell to my knees in agony. She looked so hurt yet so peaceful, I had to remember she was only sleeping.
I walked forward, my face scrunched in sadness.
Once I reached her, I leaned down and brushed a curly strand out of her face.

"Aaliyah." I said shakily, it almost sounded like I sung a soft lullaby.
"Don't leave me.",
She continued to breathe steadily and sleep peacefully and unmoving. I stroked her hair as tears rolled down my cheeks.

"Your daughter is awake if you would like to see her she's next door...I'll leave you now." Dr. Ceris exited the room.

"Iain...",

I continued to stroke Aaliyah's hair.

"No..Mom just...give me some more time. Just a little more time.",

Kissing her forehead, I wiped my tears off her face.

'Don't leave me. We have so much more to finish.. I love you Aaliyah.'