June 18th, 2015

June 18th, 2015

        "Ophelia has quirks that always make me smile. There is the excessive reading she does, the current events that she needs to be caught up on. Her habits, her frequent nakedness, her comfortableness with our life together. It all makes me smile, and not a lot can do that anymore. This morning we were both in the small bathroom; she was standing in her towel that was barely clinging to her body, and I was shaving. She watched, not for the first time, but far more curiously this time than any other. I don't know what came over me, but I couldn't seem to keep a steady hand with her eyes on me, and I started laughing.

          I reached over and grabbed her, and that's when she knew what was coming, and tried to break free before we were both covered in shaving cream; but I covered her in kisses and shaving cream in minutes. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time, and it is rare that I hear O laughing like that. Something about it felt so lighthearted, and lightheartedness is not something I expected to encounter in my life often. Writing this down, it makes me feel childish, but it's things like this that I never want to forget.

          There were years where I didn't know how to smile, how to speak for myself, or how to do anything but take commands and kill. So things like this don't come easy anymore, but when they happen, I know things are the best they've been in a long time. It's her laugh that reminds me of what I've become, where we've been and how far we've come. I've forgiven myself for a lot of what I've done, and there is still a lot I can never forgive myself for, but Ophelia makes it easier."