August 22nd, 2015

August 22nd, 2015

      "I didn't realize how much she loved Steve until today.

       Not like she loves me, obviously; but the same way I guess I love him.

        She told me everything about their short time together, how when I abandoned her after killing my target, she fought to be free but ended up losing that battle. The Winter Soldier had no etiquette when it came to how to treat a lady. I try not to blame myself too much anymore, it doesn't do anyone any good. Anyways, Steve treated her better than she expected, and she was passed around from person to person until they figured out what they were going to do with her. Steve always had a good sense about people, about whether or not they were good or bad. I guess he saw the good in Ophelia, and so did a few other people.

       The next time she saw him, he knew who I was, and she did too. Hearing all this, having her tell me what they talked about, it startled me. To think that while I was off killing people, her and Steve were in some dam hiding out from HYDRA and people like me, talking about who I used to be. Somehow, that was the moment she realized that she did love me, or some version of me she got to see throughout, scattered. I wonder, sometimes, if she fell in love with me because I was the only person to ever treat her as a human being. Or if it was my charming good looks that caught her attention; she says it was a little bit of both.

       I can always trust her to put a smile on my face.

       She told me about her mission, the one she and Steve had together, to bring me back. She told him, when she went and saw him, that they had succeeded. He never got to see the end product of that, but I know he trusted her words. I can't imagine how it felt for him to go through all that, survive what I did to him, and have me turn my back on him. If it could be any other way, I'd have taken another path, but my choice to run was the right one. I'm still comfortable with that decision, and I know no other way would have worked out for me. For us."