October 13th, 2015

October 13th, 2015

         "It's been a year since Ophelia began working, and at the same place too. She has made friends within her workplace, which is more than I can say about myself but to be fair I work the night shift and tend to stay away from others. When she came home from work, she was beaming; I could see in the way she walked she seemed to bounce along the floor. She was proud of herself, I could see that much, but for what I wasn't sure at the time. She made dinner, insisted she do it herself -she has come a long way in her cooking skills, though neither of us ever bother with anything fancy. Simplicity is something we've taken on in every aspect of our life, as much as we can.

          We were celebrating that she got a raise; which I think she should have gotten a long time ago given that she showed up to shifts after long nights without sleep, still pulled her weight no matter what she went through the night before. Of course, her boss doesn't know what she goes through; he probably sees the dark circles under her eyes and thinks she is an insomniac. Anyways, it is a well deserved raise; she gets home some days exhausted, coffee stains on her clothes and a tired look in her eyes. I can tell when she has had rude customers, even though I can't imagine anyone not being nice to her. I don't know if I have ever seen her so proud of herself, not since she got the job. I can tell she is proud about the raise, but she is even more proud of the fact she has made a life for herself, in this real world that once terrified her."