October 18th, 2015

October 18th, 2015

       "I realized that over the last year I completely forgot about my own birthday; it never crossed my mind when the day came and went, it was so long ago now. I don't think I've ever told O, maybe part of my subconscious wouldn't let me because of how I know it hurts her; she has no idea who she really is, not that it matters because who she is shows through the things she does every day, the way she fixes me and keeps me whole, the way she makes everyone smile. The way she's been through so much and still comes out with her head above the water, where as so many people who aren't as strong as her would have drowned a long time ago. Maybe next year I'll mention something, about my birthday, but I don't want her to think that she has to do anything for it.

       No, I don't think I should mention it.

       We're renegades, we don't need birthdays and last names.

       Another thing that bothers her; she's just Ophelia. Maybe she doesn't realize, but that's enough. Taking the last name of her parents, whoever they were, she's better than they ever were. Taking their last names if she ever found out what they were, it would almost be disgraceful. She's so far above them. It makes me wonder though, if she'd consider taking my last name. (not that it matters because we don't exist on any legal documents. I do, but the last thing with my name on it is probably my death certificate from decades ago). Ophelia Barnes; I think it sounds nice."