April 17th, 2016

April 17th, 2016

          "You had a strange request last night, O.

         You wanted to train again, to remind yourself that you knew how to fight. It's engrained in you as it is me, we both know how to fight without even thinking about it. I can't see how training could possibly get in the way of anything, and I see why it's important to you. When you asked, I knew there was more to it than a sudden desire sparked by the nightmare only a few nights ago. Then you told me Vasily Karpov was found tortured and killed in his apartment, you reminded me that we can't always run from a past as long and dark as ours. It always comes creeping back whether it is in our dreams, our worries, or in actuality.

        You're asleep right now, it's early, I don't even know why I'm awake right now. Perhaps it is the nagging thought of what I said last night; we began our training, your training, but we also laid out something else very important. Life without me; I know you could live a life without me. You're a strong woman, resourceful; you always have been. If anyone comes for us, they'll want me over you. And I do not say that to offend; they'd want me alive, and they'd want you dead. So to protect you, I had to make sure you understand that you'd have to leave if I ever said so.

         Vasily Karpov's death does not disturb me as much as it did O, ever since the HYDRA files were released to the public, HYDRA officials went off the grid. Many disappeared for good, and I'm sure many are dead. Perhaps it was a vigilante, do-gooder.

        But I don't believe that."