August 18th, 2015

August 18th, 2015

       "I realized that I've never asked her to tell me about her time with Steve, about how he is. All I know is that he helped her, he trusted her when not many would; I know the reason why he trusted her. From what I can remember, he was always the nice guy. The one to stand up for everything he believed in, to defend those who needed it, even when he was the weakest kid on the block. I spent so many nights fighting for him; the very words that struck me back on that awful day in Washington were words that we shared.

        I'm with you to the end of the line.

       But perhaps the end of the line has come and gone; if I saw him now, how could I ever face him? What would I say? I suppose I would thank him, for believing in O and believing that I was not a lost cause. Because at that point, I believed I was a lost cause. Even when O and I were in the motel, I thought maybe I was too far gone. Too used and too filled with violence to come back; that was before I remembered her. Once I remembered her, I'll never forget that day (I hope.), I thought that the whole world had been a blur until that moment. As though everything I'd done was some nightmare that was simply seventy years of horrors, and that none of it was real except her.

      She was right there, in the flesh. It made sense to have her there, it made sense to think back on the time with her. Everything felt... right when I thought about her. And still to this day, I can be in a panic and just knowing that she is there brings me back. Maybe it would be the same with Steve, though what possible circumstances could we meet under without risking O's safety? If we're hidden, we're safe from everyone. The more people who see us, who interact with us, it brings forth more and more risk. People here, in Bucharest, they don't know who we are, they don't recognize us. But if we went to find Steve, someone would see, someone would know.

       I think I'll just ask her, another day. Just to hear the stories, how she perceives him."