Day 19 Part 2

I turned around casually as I stopped in my tracks. "Dr Davids, hi." I said trying my best to keep my racing heart under control. He could be M. His occupation was the perfect cover, he could make people overdose and then blame it on their mental illness. He had access to each patient and when he went in a room out of the blue no one would question it. If this person still had the urge to kill then he could be him.

"Miss Kent. You might want to take a seat because we need to talk." He said his expression grim. I nodded slowly hoping he wasn't about to harm me.

I moved towards my bed and sat down. "Miss Kent, I really hate to be the bearer of such news." He said closing his eyes for a brief moment. "The jury has found you guilty and the judge dished out the ultimate penalty. The death penalty. I was able to convince the judge to let you stay here until the day that..." He trailed off.

I couldn't respond, "31st of January." He said. I felt my eyes droop involuntary, "The day they were killed." I murmured not quite believing this day was upon me. I pressed record on the tape recorder in my pocket.

"You've got to believe me I didn't do it. I would never hurt my family. Sure sometimes I would hate the way my father wouldn't allow me to do certain things and it felt like my mom was to overbearing but to kill them? No. And the pure innocence that was my baby brother why would anyone want to take that away from me? From the world. You've got to believe me Dr Davids."

"I do, I believe you Emily. I tried everything I could do for you for now. But believe me Emily the real killer won't get away with this." Dr Davids said making me look up at him. I felt the tears in my eyes. "Well I'll leave you to it." He murmured as he left. I stopped the recording and started leaning against my headboard.

The weight of my situation finally crashing down on me. I felt like I was drowning and frantically trying to breathe only to suck in more water. I couldn't do this, I couldn't do any of it.

I heard a knock on my door, I didn't say anything cause I knew whoever was knocking had a key. "Em." Eric said quietly as he came in. "Dr Davids told me the news." I brushed off the question at the back of my mind: Why would Dr Davids tell you my status?

I allowed Eric to hold me as I subtly pressed the record button once again. "I'm so sorry Em." He said sounding a bit detached. "You'll be free soon, don't you worry. Dr Davids is doing everything in his capacity, I'm doing everything I can." He said stroking my hair.

I closed my eyes and leaned against him. "It's okay. It's going to be okay." He murmured. But I refused to believe it because today was the first time ever Dr Davids had said Emily and not Miss Kent or Miss Emily Kent.